Setup for a novice user.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JohnMult, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnMult

JohnMult Registered Member

After quite some reading of the forum posts I end up with the following setup:
    1. Router with firewall
    2. Norton Dns
    3. Standard Account
    4. EMET
    5. Comodo Firewall with Defense+ (settings password protected, do not show popup lerts: block)
    6. TIP 1806
    7. Java Machine removed completelly
    8. Google Chrome (Adblock Plus, JavaScript Popup Blocker, Search Engine Security) allow java and plugins only in com and gr domains.
    9. All updates

I dont want any Antivirus because the system is quite old (Windows XP Home, Celeron 2.53 448Mb RAM) and i dont really know how safe i am with this configuration. Any advice is wellcome.

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

You should be safe. Do add an anti-virus scanner or at least one in the cloud so you can scan files to make sure nothing gets through. Bitdefender is light on resources and if you need only ONE anti-virus program that should be it or you can install MSE.

3. JohnMult

I have Comodo Cleaning Essentials installed which is portable. My latest addition is running Chrome always in Comodo Sanbox (Partially limited). You see my main concern is online threats and prevent user from doing critical changes on the PC.

4. guest

guest Guest

If you are using already Comodo Fw + HIPS (D+) better than use CCE as an ondemand scanner use any other, the reason is because even if you don't install the av component Comodo Fw D+ already includes comodo Cloud, that means that the unknown files are checked against the cloud av even if you don't have the local av installed.

As an ondemand alternative try Malwarebytes antimalware and Emsisoft Emergency Kit

I also would add this to your setup: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=333127
    And I would consider Trusteer Rapport.

Some Addons for Chrome:
    Extensions: 8
    - TrafficLight v0.2.1

- Flag for Chrome v0.4.1

- VTchromizer v1.1

- HTTPS Everywhere v2012.9.21

- Privacy manager v2.3

- AdBlock v2.5.45

- Ghostery v4.0.0

- ScriptNo v1.0.6.2

Exported with Chrome Extensions Share

5. JohnMult

You have a very good point. I havent really thought about it. I will follow your advice my friend. Thanks
    (I have Standard Account so the ZeroVulnLabs will not do me any good at the moment)

6. tipo

tipo Registered Member

comodo firewall scans files in the cloud so you are good without an av...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.