Settings questions

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jmorlan, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmorlan

jmorlan Registered Member

I am trialing the NOD32 AV program and looking at some of the various settings.

What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of disabling the graphical user interface? From what I see, all the settings and information are still available and adjustable while using less memory with the GUI disabled. Makes it seriously lean which I like.

The program seems to do a short scan (Automatic startup file check) on every boot. I unchecked the box for that. Is there a way to manually do a short file check or delay it until later? It already does it on successful updates anyway, so the check on startup seems like overkill. Any advice on this setting?

Thanks.

2. NoobStick

NoobStick Guest

Hello jmorlan

"Yep" the benefits of disabling/in the sense of turn off the graphical user interface, is that it will give you more ram to play with, no disadvantages regarding security.(This only applies to Eset RC nod32 version 5,where you can turn off Graphical user interface ) otherwise I would not turn it off.
    Disabling the ESET startup scan exposes your computer to risk ,and it only takes a couples of seconds to do the scan, so personally I would not disable startup scan. Hope it answer you questions.:)

Best Regards

NoobStick

reason for edit: I wrote something rubbish

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

4. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Are you refering to disable the stylish GUI (press Ctrl+G) or preventing EGUI.EXE client from launching at startup?

5. jmorlan

See attached. I unchecked the GUI. I am using the release versions, not Eset RC nod32 version 5. With this unchecked EGUI.EXE still launches at startup, but consumes less memory.

I put the check back in the box for the startup scan but tweaked the setting so it will run when the computer is idle. The default was set to "lowest priority." Is that okay?

Attached Files:

6. siljaline

From the Help Menu on Hiding the GUI.
    Note, I have never done this, evidently it can be done - as far as I am concerned, these are uncharted waters - proceed if you wish.

You may want to export your current settings first

Thank you.

7. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

graphical user interface decoration and other resources seem to be hidden but no unloaded after some time

yes, default is lowest priority

8. jmorlan

Thanks. I did a little testing and you are right that memory resources are not released with the GUI disabled and yes, it can be toggled on the the fly using Ctrl-G. However, with the GUI disabled, the amount of memory used by egui.exe after a reboot is substantially less (only 2,252K) than with the GUI enabled. If I toggle Ctrl-G the memory used goes up slightly to 3,652K. If I then toggle it back, the memory actually increases again to 3,736K, etc.

In both scenarios, the egui.exe process is loaded and shows in MSCONFIG. I'm not trying to prevent it from loading at all. Just loading it on boot with different options.

So far I am not seeing any downside to disabling the GUI in setup. It saves a bit of memory and I can always get it back on-the-fly if I want.

9. siljaline

Thank you for the follow-up information. Am happy to read that some experimentation has worked for you without any negative impact.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.