Setting up Windows Live

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Some months ago when Windows or Hotmail changed the way they operated I received a link with instructions as to how to set up Windows Live. I cannot find the link or the instructions.

Windows Live has gone south on my laptop. I cannot seem to set it up so that it gets mail. I seem to remember that the instructions gave ports such as 25 or 110 or something. The Wizard does not do the job evidently.
    Ialso tried Thunderbird, but my account with Quest would not work. I think I do not have the right ports selected.

I thought I should be able to look at the same accounts on my desk top, but I cannot find the ports and such detailed info.

Any help as to how to set up the email accounts, such as instructions sent by Windows Live? Thanks.

Regards,
    Jerry

Regards,
    Jerry

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

It's not really clear exactly what you want to do. If you want to get Hotmail with the Windows Live Mail email client, then basically the only thing you need to know is your email address and the password. This will set it up automagically with their deltasync protocol. If you want to use pop3 to get Hotmail here are the server settings:

POP: pop3.live.com (port 995)
    SMTP: smtp.live.com (port 25)
    Note: make sure you check the box that indicates that your outgoing server requires authentication (in most mail clients this is not checked by default).
    Username: your full email address
    Password: your Windows Live ID password

Personally I prefer the deltasync method because it also syncs your contacts and the calendar. If you use pop3 you won't have that. If you want to use OE for Hotmail then pop3 is the only to do it since the WebDAV protocol is no longer supported by Hotmail.

I'm guessing that Quest is your ISP, check their site or google for their email server settings. Can't help much with that since I never heard of Quest before.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Many thanks. I think it is OK now with Windows Live. I had to remove the accounts and go through the "add" process. It seems all is working now.
    Thanks, again,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.