Setting up JAP and Proxomitron

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Blackspear, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Re: Setting up JAP and Proxomitron (& 'bout TOR)

Paranoid, I think you have misunderstood me again.

I am currently running Proxomitron, Tor, and Jap and they seem to be all working through each other.

I am using SocksCap to "SOCKSify" Proxomitron through Tor. In the Proxomitron proxy settings it is connecting through JAP. So I believe right now all my http/https is going through Tor, then Proxomitron then JAP.

What I am unsure of is if I need to setup my browser to use Tor for Socks, or if using Tor with Proxomitron (http/https) should cancel this out. Did i explain a little better this time?

I am using this setup as I am posting this and Proxomitron is working great. JAPs eyes are blinking so I know everything is going through JAP. Proxomitron is socksified to use TOR so I know everything is going through TOR before Proxomitron or JAP.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Proxomitron can only be connected to one proxy at a time - if is connecting via JAP, it cannot be connecting via Tor also. The JAP client will only route traffic to one of the JAP mixes, the Tor client has to route traffic via a Tor node to be effective so neither of these can use the other.

While you may be able to route traffic between your browser and Proxomitron via Tor (is this what you mean by "SOCKSifying Proxomitron"?), this would be utterly pointless since, by looping back, you are gaining no anonymity whatsoever (it would be comparable to trying to cover your tracks by using several cars to drive from your front to your back door). By doing this, you would only be adding excess traffic to the Tor network.
    As I mentioned previously, Proxomitron cannot filter encrypted traffic. It sounds as if, at best, you have your browser sending traffic out to Tor which encrypts it, decrypts it and sends it back to Proxomitron. This offers no benefit over having your brower sending it's requests to Proxomitron directly.

As for checking JAP, you should open the JAP client window and check that the amount of data increases as you request and receive web pages. For Tor, try the Tor-specific link I listed above.

3. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

OK Paranoid I think I understand it all a little better now. I am wondering if this could work:

Use SocksCap to use Tor with Proxomitron THEN use hummingbird socks (simular to sockscap) to use Tor with JAP?

Only reason I am trying to do this is so the JAP servers cannot see my IP.

I finally understand that by using SocksCap to use Tor with Proxomitron it goes in this order:

Proxomitron-->Tor

Also I could never get that onion link to work, but Tor does hide my IP when I use it alone or with Proxomitron.

4. Paranoid2000

The only way to connect to a JAP mix is with a JAP client so the only method of "hiding" your IP address from JAP while using it would be to run the JAP client on a remote machine and use that as a proxy.

The only way to chain Tor and JAP together would be to run a Tor server that used the JAP client to redirect traffic through JAP. Since both projects' source code is available, it should be possible to amalgamate the two but the benefits may not be worth the effort.

It should be noted that only the first server in a JAP mix is aware of your address so using a multi-server mix (i.e. anything other than Dresden-Dresden) would make tracking impractical for most purposes (i.e. only law enforcement and 3-letter agencies with a penchant for black helicopters are likely to have the resources).

5. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Ok thanks for the info Paranoid :D
    I was hoping that I could filter my http/https with Tor before sending the information to the JAP client. I guess the only way possible wouldn't be worth it.

Also I got http://6sxoyfb3h2nvok2d.onion/tor/ to work now.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  6. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

getalive, if you are still having trouble setting Tor up with Proxomitron just download SocksCap (http://www.permeo.com/) and set it up as shown in the screen shots below:

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      14.2 KB
      Views:
  7. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Make sure not to use the remote proxy setting in Proxomitron.

Attached Files:

• 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      33.6 KB
      Views:
  8. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

9. Paranoid2000

Having spent some time running Tor (and SocksCap) I'd like to correct the above statement. A browser (or an HTTP proxy like Proxomitron) can either be set up via proxy settings to use JAP only or via SocksCap to use Tor only.

10. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Yeah I found that out the hard way. When trying to use all of them together Tor said it wouldnt send data to 5090 in its log window.

11. Paranoid2000

It is apparently possible to chain Tor and JAP together but not currently practical. See the DNSkong-Privoxy-JAP thread for more information.

12. Corrupted

Corrupted Registered Member

Bringing this back up :)

Right now I have Firefox set up with a manual proxy at "localhost" at 8080. I also have proxomitron set up with 127.0.0.1:4001 (which I believe makes it go through JAP. A few questions...

1) I believe Firefox is now going through Proxo first with that setup. (when I bring up the browser, my ZA Firewall asks if Proxo can access the internet). But how? Does Proxo automatically position itself after the browser

2) I read somewhere that only JAP should access the Internet. If so, how do I set it up so that my firewall doesn't ask for Proxy to access it (I thought 127.0.0.1:4001 will put Proxy through JAP)

3) How do you increase anonymity in JAP? Mine typically says "fair"

Thanks

13. Paranoid2000

1) Yes - your browser proxy setting causes it to send all requests to Proxomitron (which by default listens on port 8080).

2) Block your browser from accessing the Internet - allow it to access Proxomitron (address 127.0.0.1, port 8080 only). Similarly, allow Proxomitron to access JAP only (address 127.0.0.1, port 4001).

3) You can't - directly. It depends on how many others are using JAP - more users = greater anonymity but slower speed (more people sharing the same network bandwidth).

14. Corrupted

Corrupted Registered Member

Thanks Paranoid...however I'm confused on something

Right now I'm running ZA (Free SW) and when I used to launch Firefox it would ask if I wanted to access the Internet. Now when I launch Firefox, only Proxo would ask permission to access the INternet. However, if I decline, then I cannot get online. You say I should deny Proxo access to the Internet? If so, I guess I need to figure out how to have Proxo only access JAP in Zone Alarm. Thanks.

15. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Allow your browser to only contact 127.0.0.1 (localhost)
    This way then you goto a site that uses Java to find your IP by connecting directly to you, it will not connect and not be able to identify you.

16. confoozed

confoozed Guest

I'm having the same problem as Corrupted. I would like to know if you found a solution.

I'm also using Zone Alarm, and trying to connect to Jap with browser & Proxomitron. I can connect browser to Jap excluding Proxo and get fair anonymity.

When I try configure all three, browser is set to local host:8080, proxo's port is set at 8080 with remote proxy checked and set at local host:4002 and Jap at 4002, (Jap won't connect to 4001 as that port is being used by another process). Jap doesn't need firewall permission (I assume) and connects through the Java Runtime.

My problem is that my browser won't connect to Proxo with firewall permission accepted or blocked, (ZA is set to stealth mode). I assume I need to make firewall rules to make this work. My knowledge of such is nil. My ZA expires tommorrow so I may try Kerio, Lookn'Stop or Jetico.

Anyway, enough (assuming). Can anyone help?

17. Paranoid2000

JAP (or at least the Java Runtime javaw.exe) will need permission to run as a server in ZoneAlarm (as will Proxomitron) since it is accepting incoming network traffic (either from your browser or Proxomitron).

However Proxomitron's proxy test should have failed with JAP (giving a "503 Service Unavailable" error) so if you did not receive this, you may have another program using port 4002 instead of JAP.

18. confoozed

confoozed Guest

Thanks for your help Paranoid. Last night my ZA wasn't allowing javaw.exe to listen to TCP port 4002 and I wasn't sure why. I followed your instructions, got the 503 service error and all is working hunky dory.

I am a bit reticent giving server status, but as I'm going to have to give up ZA today, it will give me a chance to learn more about rule based firewalls.

I've seen some good tutorials in here on the particular firewalls I'd like to try, so will have to do some reading and re-reading.

Thanks again for a speedy reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.