Setting up JAP and Proxomitron

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Blackspear, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Anyone have simple step by step instruction on setting up JAP and Proxomitron?

I can get it to LOW anonymity, but not high, I'm not setting it up right with the correct ports or something.

I'm using Kye-U's filters.

Cheers :D

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

ive had proxomitron and JAP for awhile, but not used JAP. i just tried and i get low to fair anonimity with Dresden-Dresden. i dont really use JAP, but i think if you search through paranoid2000's posts you may find something.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

setup like this- open proxomitron and click proxy and enter 127.0.0.1:4001

Attached Files:

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

then check, use remote proxy

Attached Files:

5. Blackspear

Thanks Icen, I'll try it and come back to you...

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

im really sorry :oops: im not sure that that is the correct configuation, i just got my first popup with that config. edit sorry disregard this post as high-spirited bunkum

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

seeing as no one has replied yet, i wanted to say that im 99% sure that the configuation given above is correct. But, Blackspear do you use firefox? because i have FF configured as below, do you have this config too?. i dont know anything about gopher servers. should that be configured too?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  8. Justhelping

Justhelping Guest

That looks correct.

Leave gopher alone, it doesn't matter, I seriously doubt you will be using it any time soon.

9. Blackspear

Many thanks Iceni60 and J.H. I managed to set it up, it is sooooooo SLOOOOW, so with this being the case have decided to give it a miss, thanks for all your help...

10. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Check JAP's options - under Config/Miscellaneous there is the ability to check mix availability and you can switch to a faster mix if you find things too slow. However there are bandwidth limits on it - so the more who use it, the slower it gets.

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Justhelping and Paranoid :ninja:

12. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Guest

I noticed another setting in Proxo that deals with proxies. When you open Proxo click the "config button", click "HTTP tab", under "Proxy Protocol Settings" it says "Proxomitron's Proxy Port Number" (say that 10 times as fast as you can) and in the box it says "8080". Should this also be changed to 4001 to use it with JAP? Or should it just be left alone? Thanks.

13. Paranoid2000

Only Proxomitron's External Proxy Selector (click on the Proxy button) needs to be changed as per Iceni60's post above (post number 3) to work with JAP. The Proxy Port Number is which port Proxomitron will accept web browser requests on - you can change this from the default 8080 if you want (and update your browser settings accordingly) but I would suggest that there is little point in doing so.

14. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Guest

Thanks Paranoid for the help. :)

15. getalive

getalive Guest

Re: Setting up JAP and Proxomitron (& 'bout TOR)

Yep, Proxo works quite nicely with JAP...

But I'm not able to make Proxo running with TOR Onion Routing v0.0.8.

Best I can go, firefox via Proxo-TOR gives me this message:
    <<Tor is not an HTTP Proxy
    It appears you have configured your web browser to use Tor as an HTTP Proxy. This is not correct: Tor provides a SOCKS proxy. Please configure your client accordingly.
    See http://freehaven.net/tor/doc/tor-doc.html for more information. >>

If I fellow instructions given there for Privoxy and enter "forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 ." now I just receive:

<<Host Name Lookup Failed
    The Proxomitron couldn't find the site named...
    forward-socks4a
    Check that the name is correct. If so, the site may have changed or may no longer exist.>>

My firewall have rules to allow TOR for tcp out 9001-9004 & 9030-9033, and Proxo-to-TOR for tcp out on localhost:9050.

Can Proxo be chained with a socks local proxy of this kind? If yes, how so?

Thanks

16. Paranoid2000

Proxomitron can only run with HTTP proxies so to use it with Tor, you would have to find that elusive beast known as an Http2Socks proxy to connect the two. I say elusive because although it gets mentioned a few times on Usenet and other forums, there does not seem to be a web page for such a utility. Maybe you'll have better luck finding it. :)

17. getalive

getalive Guest

A gentleman on another forum, and reading TOR papers, directed me to this freebee called SocksCap at
    http://www.socks.permeo.com/Download/SocksCapDownload/index.asp

He called it a "socksifier" and told me that's a program I need to run in the background to intercept all Proxomitron traffic and redirects it to the TOR's socks port...

Could it fit the bill here?

Well, looks to me I'm just seeking an art to complexicate my internet day trips :)

getalive

18. getalive

getalive Guest

Hi again,

Oups, the one that I saw mentioned in TOR docs is not the same one.

It's "tsocks" downloadable at
    http://tsocks.sourceforge.net/about.php

19. Paranoid2000

SocksCap might do the trick - but there's no substitute for experimentation! Tsocks looks to be Linux-only however (it amends the LD_PRELOAD variable to replace the standard connect() function with its own).

Tor does look like an interesting option - I've stayed clear of it up till now since the only Windows client available was an older version with known bugs but I notice that it's been updated to 0.0.8. If anyone else is interested, Tor's home page is at http://www.freehaven.net/tor/.

20. getalive

getalive Guest

well, yah, a bit tricky, as you say, and there's not a lot of good docs for SocksCap floating online, it seems!

I find those 2 good Socksifying tutorials there:

http://www.proxyblind.org/phpBB2/cms_view_article.php?aid=20 (How-to with screenshots)

http://www.proxyblind.org/phpBB2/cms_view_article.php?aid=32 (Video)

you'll have you to register first.

Any help you can give will be apreciated :)

--
    getalive

21. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I thought that TOR was designed to only be used with SOCKS? I have FireFox setup to use TOR for SOCKS, but would there be a point in also setting up Proxomitron to do so?

22. Paranoid2000

Proxomitron offers unrivalled web filtering (allowing you to rewrite web pages if you so choose). It can therefore remove any HTML which may compromise privacy or anonymity (for instance, using Javascript to set cookies or query which sites you visited previously).

A search on Proxomitron here or a visit to the Proxomitron site or forum should provide plenty of information on its capabilities.

23. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I have been using Proxomitron and love it. I use JD's config set and it works great. I was asking if there was a point to make Proxomitron go through Tor first?

24. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I think I have everything setup how I want it and it seems to be working great.

I used SocksCap to make Proxomitron connect through Tor.
    Proxomitron is setup to connect through Jap.
    My browser is setup to use Proxomitron for http/https and Tor for Socks.

So if I am correct this is how my current setup works:

Tor-->Jap-->Proxomitron

Is there a point in having my browser setup for Tor on Socks since Proxomitron goes through Tor?

Any comments/ideas?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  25. Paranoid2000

For more complete privacy protection, you would want to use both a filter (like Proxomitron or Privoxy) and an anonymiser (like Tor or JAP). If you were to configure your browser to use Proxomitron and Proxomitron to then use Tor, this would (if you could "SOCKSify" Proxomitron first) provide such a situation.

If you are talking about having your browser using Tor and Tor then going through Proxomitron then, even if it did appear to work, Proxomitron could do no filtering since all it would see is encrypted traffic.

As for the Tor->Proxomitron->JAP setup you describe, your Tor client can only work if allowed to route traffic through other Tor nodes. Since you are instead routing it to JAP, I would suspect that your Tor client is doing nothing and that you are only gaining anonymity via JAP (try accessing a Tor-specific URL like the Hidden Wiki at http://6sxoyfb3h2nvok2d.onion/ to test - this should only be accessible via Tor).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.