setting up hard drives

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Long View, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Sometimes when I set up a hard drive I get 7 to 8 meg of unallocated space.
    Other times the whole drive is used. It has never seemed to make any difference - so just wondering if anyone knows why this unallocated bit is there and what is its purpose ?

Yesterday I wanted to restore a system image and Shadow Protect complained that there wasn't enough space to restore. I was actually restoring to the same drive I gad imaged but in the meantime had installed Xp as a test. Using Disk Direct 10 I deleted everything and set up a new partition - with no unallocated space, then used SP to restore. Everything seems ok but should there be an unallocated space ?

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Also need by the HDD for bad sector maintenance.

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Hi Hairy. Rightly or wrongly I have using Disk director 10 to set up C: as primary /active with 7.8 mg unallocated at the end and D: as Logical with 7.8 mg unallocated at the beginning. Having D: without any unallocated worked fine but I'm not going to argue about the los of 7.8 mg from a 1 TB drive.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I addressed this issue with Velocity Micro, as when I receive machines new from them and they've loaded with a script, the complete disk is allocated. But when a clean install is done that free space is always there.

They said it was windows leaving it in case you wanted to create dynamic disks and if you didn't then there was no need for that empty space. The last time my machine came back from a repair, they had done a clean install. I used Disk Director and eliminated that space. No harm done at all.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.