setting regdefend to block an app

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by LFC, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LFC

LFC Registered Member

im new to this anybody tell me how to block a certain app from accessing the registry all together i dont want it touching the registry at all thnx

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

The normal use of RD is to protect certain areas of the Registry and then make exceptions for specific apps by creating Application Rules.

The only way I can think of to do what you want to do would be to click 'Configure', then select 'Applicatiom Rules' in the LH pane. Now you need to enter the name of the prog you wish to block in 'Group Name' and its file path in 'Filename'; finally click 'Add Group'.

Having created the Application Group you would need to click 'Add Rule' and enter each of the following rules (leaving a '*' in the Value section):-

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT**
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER**
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE**
    HKEY_USERS**
    HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG**

Finally, for each one of the above rules, tick all the boxes for Key and Value in the section for 'Allow these events' and place the bullet point in 'Block'.

That should block the app in question from doing anything to the Registry.

Whether this approach is a good idea or not I do not know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.