Setting compiz refresh rate to twice the monitor refresh rate

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by steve161, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Been browsing around for no particular purpose, and saw a few suggestions on the compiz forum to set the refresh rate in compiz to twice the rate of your monitor in order to help with tearing or jerky windows. It was also written that this is not dangerous to do since it does not change your monitor's refresh rate. I set mine to 120 (a few minutes ago out of curiosity). My system seems a little more responsive, but it very well could be the placebo effect. Anyone try this or have the opinion that it is useless/dangerous?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Have you tried turning off vsync and see if you get any improvements?

3. steve161

vsync? Is that sync to vblank?. But I should have been more clear. I am not having any problems, I am just trying this out of curiosity. Sync to vblank was disabled by default and I have it enabled now.

Edit: What I would like is for some people to give it a shot, and post their observations. No warranty implied.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  4. steve161

Update: This setting does speed things up, whether sync to vblank is enabled or not. System monitor is not showing higher cpu or disk activity with this setting. Why do I have a feeling I will be posting tomorrow about missing icons or disappearing windows?

5. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Ha ha ha don't worry bout that, I tried this long while back without any adverse effects when I used to use Gnome. Did you measure FPS?

6. steve161

No, but a good idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.