Service Pack question (general sw)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Vistax64Gamer, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vistax64Gamer

Vistax64Gamer Registered Member

If I wanted to remove windows 7 and return to vista 64-bit now that SP2 is out.

Reason for switch:
    Random freezing in windows 7 computer completely locks up.

What is the proper setup order?
    -Install Vista Ultimate 64-Bit
    -Install Vista x64 SP2 Offline Windows6.0-KB948465-X64.exe
    -Install DirectX Nov 2008 Redist Offline
    -Install .Net Framework 3.5 Offline (Not sure what it does, but I always install it)
    -Install Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2

Would this work or would I have conflicts?
    I am asking, because I don't know if its safe to directly install a service pack as the first file of a new os. Do some other files need to be installed first?

2. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

The only prerequisite is that Service Pack 1 must be installed.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

btw service pack 2 for vista is only Rc (release cadidate) so it isnt released yet.
    Internet explorer 8 is Rc (release candidate) now

but if your in to beta testing and understand the risks your order for installing is fine.

im gonna test service pack 2 for vista and internet explorer 8 Rc this weekend.

4. Vistax64Gamer

Vistax64Gamer Registered Member

I noticed this

-I tried to install SP2, Which told me I needed SP1 first.
    -Next I downloaded SP1 and went to install it when I got this message "unable to install please see link ending in linkid=101139.
    -So next I went on the net and downloaded the first 77 updates, rebooted and tried sp1 again - no joy. Next I downloaded 8 more updates, rebooted again still no joy for sp1 launch. I downloaded two more updates, then I installed SP1.

Now my point to all of this is what is the point of offering a offline installer called "KB336330_SP1_x64.exe @762MB" if it can't be installed offline.
    SP2 Offline was 614MB Alone so I figured it already sp1 packed into it. These offline installers are a joke if I even have to risk going online, before I am already patched to the latest service pack.

I remember with XP I simply copied over the xp disc to a temp folder then extracted sp2 offline into it. Slap it on a disc and I was good to go.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the reason the offline installer for sp2 is over 600mb is because it works for all versions of vista from home basic to ultimate and is for 5 lanuages. it also has all updates since sp1.

with my vista 32bit disc which didnt come with sp1 the offline sp1 installer didnt work eiether. I was annoyed as you are.
    luckily now i have 64bit vista which has sp1 intergrated from my oem so i just downloaded the registry tweak and got sp1 via windows update.

btw once you get up and running and install IE8 can you test the 64bit version?
    cant work out which plugin is causing the issue atm.
    for some reason IE8 64bit crashes on every webpage. 32bit version works fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.