Service installation not blocked

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Patc4, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patc4

Patc4 Registered Member

Hi
    I have just registered Process Guard and so am new to using it.

I have also installed Secretmaker.

Secretmaker is notifying a service being installed but ProcessGuard does not. I have turned off the Secretmaker so it does not trap services attempting to load and still processguard does not report it or block it.

OK?

Now I think this service may be being initiated from a program that is in the ProcessGuards process list and that problem program is Spyware Doctor.

Now I want to run Spyware Doctor but not allow it to install gash services every time I boot-up (it is a gash service as it names a non-existent file MC21.tmp). Is there anyway in which I can disallow Spyware Doctor installing services without having to click a button to reject it every time I boot-up (as I need to do with secretmaker)?

Just because I want a program does not mean I want all it to install services or install in the start-up list. Is this possible?

2. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

the simple thing to do would be to give spyware doctor ("sdhelper.exe") whatever priviledges that it needs.. it is OK to allow spyware doctor/"sdhelper.exe" to install the service.. incidentally, some other security programs like trojanhunter and a-squared install the same service..

spyware doctor/sdhelper.exe also needs to be allowed to "terminate" "smss.exe"..

if you do not want spyware doctor to run at startup, you can adjust the settings in spyware doctor so that it doesn't run at startup..

PG can block "sdhelper.exe" from installing the service.. to do that, just don't give sdhelper.exe the priviledge to install services, but that is not what you should do.. (if you have sdhelper.exe disabled, in "services", then "swdoctor.exe" will takeover doing what sdhelper.exe normally does, installing the service)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.