Server Connection Failure revisted

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by geepondy, Dec 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geepondy

geepondy Registered Member

I just installed the trial version of NOD32. The virus definitions are back in August. I am trying to do an update but repeatedly get a server connection failure. Doing a forum search I have found threads that say paying customers take place over trial customers. But I have been trying repeatedly over the past half hour, I would say at least 30 times. Could it be something else? I currently am not running a firewall program. I connect to the Internet via DSL and a router but do not/have not had any other connection issues.

Despite the statement that paying customers get precedence, I am skeptical to buy the product if I cannot get it to connect to the update servers.

Edit: I see that you cannot manually download the virus signatures from the Nod32 web page. This is a bummer as well.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  2. Upasaka

Upasaka Guest

There are at least 8 servers available for updates,make sure you have chosen the Automatic choice for servers in Update settings.
    I have tried all the servers and they all respond.

The message you are getting could well be that the request for update is not leaving your machine , ie blocked by your firewall .I changed firewall recently and got this message straight away,and had to make a rule allowing the update.
    Other anti trojan software can also block update features as the behaviour is similar to trojan activity.

3. billaku

billaku Registered Member

With all the protection running on my system, I cannot even get WinXP SP2 updates without disabling similar.

So far, I have not tried to pin down to 1 or 2 or 3 or ...
    I just shut them all down, except for NOD32, then do the update.
    Would this be the cause for something as routine as NOD32 updates I would spend the time and effort.

Since I do get NOD32 updates no problem with so many this type prog. running, probably more firewall, similar.
    I may have clicked on 'Accept' or similar NOD32, NOD32 updates after installing LookNStop, WinPatrol.

In geepondy's case, hopefully more a (one) firewall setting.

4. geepondy

Yes, it must have something to do with my pc. I just installed in second pc and it updated fine on that pc. The only thing the two pcs share in common is the router and dsl modem. I wonder what it could be on this pc? I just uninstalled Norton Internet Security, I wonder if there are still remants such as registry values left behind?

5. billaku

billaku Registered Member

Prolem sys.:
    What OS - operating system
    What ver. NIS

See: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2001090510510636
    Uninstalling Norton Internet Security or Personal Firewall 2003 or earlier using the RnisUPG.exe removal utility

Note the 2003 or earlier.

Try google search ~ (+uninstall +norton +internet +security)

Just found: http://support.packardbell.com/es/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=6952000000&PibItemParent=PB20Q01404
    File Category: Miscellaneous
    File Title: Norton Internet Security 2004 Uninstaller
    File Version: 1.0
    File Date: 23-12-2004 16:12:24
    File Size: 289856 Bytes

Technical Note: This patch will enable the option to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2004 (including Norton Antivirus 2004). After installing the patch, click Start, Control Panel, and Add/Remove Programs. The option Norton Internet Security 2004 will now be visible in the add/remove list.

For more information, please refer to article How can I uninstall Norton Antivirus 2004 or Norton Internet Security 2004?

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/Q_21265673.html
    Before I start, I have read this Symantec document on the subject:

Document ID:2004101409143536

I downloaded NIS 2005. I had NIS 2002 instaled and uninstalled this. However, NAV 2003 was still on the machine. The installation did an AV check, then under the heading of NAV, said that it was removing duplicate files. 100% CPU use for 3 hours got me no further, so I abandoned the installation.

I rebooted, NAV2003 was gone, but NIS 2005 installation disappeared after the first install screen.

Looked at Symantec KB. Removed NIS8 temporary folders and anything else I could find to remove in the temp directory.

Tried again-nothing. Remove NIS8 files, reboot-same story.

Now, Symantec say that I should rename the Symantec reg entry to symantecold-but what about Norton Utilities and Ghost? Not to mention the Live Update entries that caused the kernel error a few months ago.

Is there 1 entry I can remove from the registry without removing all the Norton components, to get this installation going.

In past I have had issues getting Symantec products completely off system.
    No avoid - totally.

6. geepondy

OK, I found the culprit. Webroot's Spysweeper was somehow interfering with installation. While installing NOD, spysweeper came up with an alert saying that nod32kui will execute on startup, do I want to keep it. I said yes. Upon uninstalling NOD, disabling spysweeper and re-installing NOD, everything was ok and immediately connected to server. When re-enabling spysweeper, it still came up with the same message which I told to keep but it no longer affects NOD's ability to connect to the server.

So far I'm inclined to keep NOD simply because normal applications start up quicker then with Norton, however I think I owe it to myself to try KAV as well. Eset really, really needs to hire themselves a good GUI person, however. There is lots of room for improvement. Also, apparently you cannot schedule full system scan? This is kind of disappointing as well.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

You certainly can schedule a full system scan.

To set up a scheduled scan:

Open the Control Centre

Then click on NOD32 System Tools

Click on Scheduler/Planner

Click the Add button

In the drop down menu choose NOD32 on demand scanning

Then follow the prompts this will walk you through how and when you which your scan to occur. I believe this method is easier for average users to understand than the command line execution of an external application method.

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You might like to take a wander through this thread.

Cheers :D

9. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Hmm.. I find it easier to use NOD than most other AVs.
    But I'm also used to working with Windows, that might be it..

10. geepondy

Thanks everybody for the responses. Having a great support forum alone is a good reason to buy a product. I realize asking for a better GUI is a personal experience that all may not agree but from all the reviews I have read, the user interface is by far the number one complaint about the program. An example is email scanning. Between emon and imon, I'm still not sure my incoming email is being scanned because I use Eudora. Lots of people use programs other then outlook including outlook express, Eudora and Thunderbird to name a few. Why not just have an option called email scanning? Another example is the scheduler. I followed The Hammer's advice (and I really am appreciative of it) and it asked what (I picked NOD32) but there was no how. I'm assuming it means scan all drives? I scheduled it just a few minutes ahead and if it did/is scanning, it is doing so transparently in the background because no window is appearing. Using the method posted in the guide linked to by Blackspear is extremely complicated where one has to have a very explicit knowledge of what to enter in the command line in order to enable scan drive options.. Why can't you just have an option under schedule to scan all available drives, list the ones present and give you the ability to check and uncheck any of them?

I realize again it's just my opinion and I hope I don't come across sounding like a troll but I think the user interface could be improved without adding to the bloatness other antivirus programs exhibit.

11. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

You simply make a new profile, select which drives/folders/files etc. that you want it to scan, setup the scanning method and save the profile as 'regular scan'.

Then you add a new schedule and select 'NOD32 - On-Demand scanner'.
    When you are done, it will ask for which profile to use. Here you select 'regular scan'.

Or just select the profile you use when doing a normal on-demand scan.

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I choose Control Centre Profile -In depth Analysis.

13. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Just follow the screen shots, and then copy and paste: /local /adware /ah /all /arch+ /clean /cleanmode /delete /heur+ /log+ /mailbox+ /ntfs+ /pack+ /quarantine /scanboot+ /scanmbr+ /scanmem+ /scroll+ /sfx+ /unsafe /wrap+ as the guide says.

/local = scan all local drives

Cheers :D

14. ejr

ejr Registered Member

My virus signatures have been updated 12 times in the last 9 days. So no problems here.

Once you find the trouble spot on that machine you shouldn't have any problems getting updates. NOD seems to update very frequently.

15. geepondy

Yes, it does. It updated today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.