Server 2008R2 Boot issues

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by DaveR73, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveR73

DaveR73 Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I inherited a new client that is running Paragon Drive Backup 10 as their nightly hard drive imaging backup app. It seems to be running fine and I can restore data as a test fine. I normally perform any additional maintenance after business hours and I was dismayed to find out that after rebooting the server the server will not reboot into windows as a small boot manager screen pops up on the server asking to pick which partition to boot into, the Windows partition (Server 2008R2) or a Linux partition.

Of course, I had no idea this was going on as I was sitting 100 miles away at a remote terminal waiting for the server to come back up. Next morning I raced out on site to see why the server 'had died' only to be confronted with that screen. Clicking enter in the Windows partition and up it came normally and with no issues. I rebooted the server, same screen came up and I decided to select option 2....and it booted up into a Paragon Recovery program. Now this would be handy in the event of needing to restore the entire server but its kind of a hassle that I can't reboot the server unless someone is physically there to click enter on the Windows partition as it will sit there forever waiting for an input.....I spoke with the client and apparently it has been happening every since the last IT person installed the Paragon software.

I have tried looking around for any options at all to skip this screen, set the windows partition to default etc but cannot. I can only manually select the first or second partition. This is a production server and it can't really afford to be down if it reboots outside of business hours.

Any advice is appreciated. Cheers.

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

To remove boot menu you need to update MBR on your system hard drivc:
    * run DB in full scale
    * right-click your system HDD and select Update Mbr
    * Apply changes
    And check if boot menu still appears.

3. DaveR73

Ok, finally found it...now, before I commit any changes - this is not going to screw up this servers Raid 5 C drive now is it?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  4. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

If operation is performed with hardware RAID which is recognized as single drive under Windows , there will be no issues.

The only changes that are made is MBR table update which will erase any boot managers , including the Paragon BM.

5. DaveR73

Just popping back in to say Cheers, system back up and booting as per normal after updating MBR as per above.

Cheers for the assistance ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.