server 2003 crash after restart

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by BB4UGL1, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BB4UGL1

BB4UGL1 Registered Member

hi
    i have windows server 2003 sp2 and eset smart security business edition

installation went good and after restart server crashed while loading
    tried all kind of settings ,even the nod32 setting for server 2003

most common thing i saw in the log event is that list of services failed to load like dns , dhcp etc

list has around 8 - 10 names

this is the main error i have seen as of 8 times try on the ess be 4.2.64.12

and the memory dump file is around 20mb after compression

main issue is that i am getting service fails to load in dns dhcp etc

now what to doooooo?

i read in forums in net and most of them have the same issue and i am amazed to see that eset has not yet refix it ,but they r releasing the version in the market

most of them r using ess be 3.xxxx version ,which works fine

when comes to server 2003 r 2008 ,os r files both r both r important ,if this is the condition ,how eset will face this in ess be release

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

In the event of BSOD or lockup, always generate a complete memory dump per the instructions here and supply it to ESET (you can pm me for instructions where to upload the dump). It can be that there's an interference with another driver/software that causes BSOD in conjunction with ESET drivers.

Generally it is not recommended to install ESS on servers as the firewall might block certain communication, depending on the server role, until you specifically configure it to be allowed. You can try switching firewall integration to "Only scan application protocols" or "Personal firewall is completely disabled" (a restart will be required) just to see if that helps.

On servers, you might want to try disabling anti-stealth and self-defense (a restart will be required) as well as setting real-time protection to scan only files with default extensions instead of all files.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  3. BB4UGL1

thanks for replay

wel i have tested eset 4.2 ess for around 10 times
    did all the modification as u told and as recommend by Microsoft

but each time it failed ,now i am using ESET.Smart Security.4.0.474.Business.Edition ,which is error free

as i have removed the 4.2 version ,now i cant provide the memory dump

but 1 thing i am amazed is that 4.0 works perfect ,after 4.0 there was n no of release of the eset editions and till date eset has not fixed this issue

what is the diff bet 4.0 and 4.2

i would like to recommend to eset not to release any more editions of business edition until it has been fixed

whyo_Oo_O because 95% of them r having the problem with 4.2 ,each 1 of them r using 3.0 and 4.0 edition ,if this is the case why u people must release the new edition

what about the new customers who r go for 4.2 for 2003 and 2008
    what u people will reply for them

we have just 1 Q to ask
    if 4.0 is working perfect( that to i dint change anything ,default setting of the eset) then why cant 4.2

i would like to 1 more thing is eset compatable with vmware workstation?

i know u guys will ask for memory dump
    this is right if this kind of problem happens to few people

if about 90-95% of them facing this problem?
    will the next release fix this issue?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Without a complete memory dump, it's impossible to tell why the crash occurs. From time to time issues occur because of a bug in another driver/software that wouldn't otherwise exhibit without ESET installed.

I'd suggest the following to troubleshoot the issue:
    1, change firewall integration to "Personal firewall is completely disabled" and restart the server. If that makes a difference, change it to "Only scan application protocols".
    2, disable Self-defense and Anti-stealth and restart the server
    3, set real-time protection to not start automatically and restart the server

Let us know which of the steps above resolved the issue.

As for Vmware support, I, for one, have not heard of any issues and have been using EAV/ESS on Vmware for ages without any issues.

5. BB4UGL1

ESET.Smart Security.4.0.474.Business.Edition also crashed and then i uninstalled all eset software

then i tried the 4.2 version ,did all the config ,restart then crashed

again i went to 474 version ,i didnt do anything ,but i excluded only vm ware folder from the program files and from application data

then i have restarted aroung 8 times ,no problem till now

i have windows server sp2 ent updated till date and vm ware 7.0 latest edition ,vm ware has virtual network cards ,this may be causing the issue i think

in 4.2 after install ,if i restart then it fails ,in event there a list of network services which r not able to run r fail, even i cam see dcom service fail toooo

as u said disable Self-defense and Anti-stealth and restart the server ,this is no option my friend ,because here there is no secuity for eset software from ternimation

i have MEMORY.DMP in windows dir ,i dont know whether it has created when 4.2 crashed r not ,its of 151 mb

when if u want log then do u want in 4.0 r in 4.2
    plz let me know

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.