Separate Boot CDR disc and DVD +r for image..how big can the image be on dvd

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nealh, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nealh

nealh Registered Member

Ok..I am using True Image 8

I created a boot cdr...(I do not care if I have boot disc and separate image file disc)

Now I am trying to create a backup image and I saw on the FAQ to limit the .tib to max of 2.0 gb...why

Why can you not create a 4gb image image if using winxp pro and NTFS?

I saw some recommend 635 mg file size..to maximize and not waste on a dvd..but does creating so many slits to image file rick lose of data??

Also I notice True image said the estimated file size would be 2.75gb but when it was done it was about 1.9gb..I created 635mg .tib files( I got 3 635mg amd one 40 mg file)..why the strange discrepancy....and is there a way to verify that image size will be complete and accurate

2. mareke

mareke Registered Member

'Why can you not create a 4gb image if using winxp pro and NTFS?'

I make my images setting a maximum size of 4GB so I can burn them to DVD but I don't try to burn them directly to DVD choosing to copy the image from the hard disk to DVD using Nero and choosing DVD-ROM (UDF) and it has caused no problems. Others may be able to state some advantages to choosing a smaller size but 4 GB works fine and I’d rather split the image into as few parts as possible.

3. nealh

nealh Registered Member

thanks..I prefer to split the image as well into as few pieces as possible...

does your boot disc have any issues with the large image when restoring...

4. nealh

nealh Registered Member

any other opinions please

5. mareke

mareke Registered Member

'does your boot disc have any issues with the large image when restoring...'

I just now saw your question hence the late reply. There have been no issues but all my restores have been from a second hard drive rather than DVD. I use the DVD image as a last resort. I have however copied the DVD image back to a hard disk and successfully restored it.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello nealh,

I too have burnt images to DVD-ROM (UDF) via Nero. Had no problem restoring them after booting from the TI recue CD.

Regards

7. nealh

nealh Registered Member

thanks guys just needed to be sure..sure would hate to find out at a bad time I was up the creek with no paddle

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Acronis True Image does split images into 2Gb parts. This feature is implemented for better compatibility because there could be problems with some DVD burners. You may burn the images of more than 2Gb as proposed above: create on the HDD and then burn to DVD with some UDF packet software.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.