SEP 12.1.4

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Frank the Perv, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Xanax or TwistedMother or other SEP expert:

Is the 12.1.4 version good in your experience?

And... I either have to download the whole program over the current version (12.1...), or I can try this patch.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH212292

I get SEP through my employers website and don't have access to fileconnect.

Will the patch work... or should I just download the .4 version over the .1 version?

Thanks

========================

What's new in this release
    This is a summary of the feature updates in SEP 12.1.4. For full details, read the Release Notes.

Expanded operating system and browser support

Supports Mac OS X 10.9 and Windows 8.1 / Server 2012 R2.

Supports the latest versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome.

Expanded and improved features for Endpoint Protection for Mac

Improved remote deployment features for the client, including a standardized deployment package for use with third-party client management systems that supports unattended, logged out, and silent deployment.

Intrusion prevention for Mac client computers.

LiveUpdate 6 for Mac, which does not require Java and can run with no user logged in.

Content for Mac from Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM)

Other improvements including improved scheduled scan options, user interface improvements, and language support

Faster alerting and notification for priority events

SEP 12.1.4 Windows clients can quickly send priority events to SEPM without waiting for the next heartbeat. You can create notifications without a damper for critical events. Priority events include malware detections and IPS alerts.

2. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Frank- You can run the upgrade installer that you have and it will work on any previous 12.1 version of SEP. Just make sure that you choose the Unmanaged Client.

As to the product, I find the Firewall to be excellent. You also have the ability to monitor any outbound connections if you choose to do so (checkbox in Network settings). The actual AV detection leaves a great deal to be desired, and be prepared to only get 1 definition update daily. There are what is called Rapid Release defs which can be found here:

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=rr

but in a non-centrally managed client you can't set them to be automatically downloaded and installed; it would have to be done manually, and in my opinion not worth the bother. Even with these in place the detection level of SEP is far behind most consumer grade applications. One strong point of SEP is that the Proactive module is very good at detecting Ransomware.

To sum, as long (as I see you do) have Malwarebytes real-time running you should have no issues. Without that addition, I would look elsewhere.

(if you decide to uninstall SEP, please request the CleanWipe uninstaller from your IT guy. It does a very good job)

3. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Thank you cruelsister,

Appreciate your time and expertise.

v/r Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.