Sentinel - Free once again!

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by RuntimeWare, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Is the version on the website current or do you need to download updates also? The separate update program (GRWU) doesn't seem to work on my machine (tries to update a program that is no longer on my machine) and I would just like to update manually anyhow without using a separate updater program.

Also, can you confugure it to use more than one virus scan (i.e., KAV 5 and TrojanHunter, etc.)?

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Can't really understand how this program helps in any way.

ZAP shows a warning on it's own dll's trying to be modified whenever a scan is iniated and another two dll's always come up as sus.

Scans at Jottis or Virus total come up clean.Seems this program is a space waster.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Anecdotal experiences with ZAP & Jottis have little, if anything, to do with the effectiveness of Sentinel or any other integrity checker.

All an integrity checker does is inform you whenever a change has been made to a file that it is monitoring. The files that it monitors are up to you. What to do (if anything) about alerts is up to you.

Integrity checkers can be VERY helpful as an added layer of protection when configured & applied by a reasonably knowledgeable user. An integrity checker is especially useful as an alert-sender for changes made by new malware that can sometimes go undetected (for a while) by the signatures & heuristics of even the best AVs, ATs, anti-spyware, etc.

If someone feels no need or aptitude for using this sort of protection, that is a matter of personal choice -- NOT a flaw in the program, as such.

4. MikeyB

MikeyB Guest

Not a total waste since Sentinel can call on a scanner that is not running resident. This can be very useful. What I find disappointing is the lack of a range of options within Sentinel itself for dealing with changes to which it alerts you.

5. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I downloaded it. It seems to be the latest version so I dumped the separate update program. I think it is a nice compliment to my KAV 5. Just another way of checking to see if anything got past my primary defenses. I have seveal quick scanners (Bazooka, CWShredder, UnhackMe) for inbetween full scans. Anyhow a nice app.

6. RuntimeWare

RuntimeWare Registered Member

I'm working on that for the next version - You're not the first to complain about this anyhow...my hope is to get a new version out this weekend. Emphasis on "hope" :D

Having said that - can anyone suggest any quick additions for Sentinel?

MikeyB you mentioned:
    What kind of options would be useful?

7. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks for the response. I haven't had time enough to become familiar enough with Sentinel to make suggestions yet. Thanks for the news about the update I'll watch for it.

8. MikeyB

MikeyB Guest

Hi RuntimeWare,
    Thanks for responding. The kind of options that I'd find useful would be similar to those in Watcher 1.12: At every alert there are options to confirm or to remove the change. It would be great to have these options in Sentinel and since it uses stronger checksums than Watcher I'd definitely switch over.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

No offense, Derek, but my suggestion is: do away with the purple (lavender? puce?) background of your GUI. It puts me into a purple funk, & I start singing "Deep Purple" over & over until it drives my cat nutz...

Attached Files:

10. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

what's wrong with Purple Rain/deep purple? Put's your feet back on the ground imho!

Colors/Gui/eyecandy is the last thing to be worked on regarding security software just my 0.0002 cents!

I founded Sentinel good software but it is just a bit too late to be freeware!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  11. metoo

metoo Guest

I also like the purple color, it's kinda kool! It's anything but yet another boring wash of plain looking colors. I hope you don't change the colors myself. Thanks for a great program! :)

12. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I switch between profiles on my PC a fair bit and it starts an automatic check each time.
    I can cancel the scan, but being a lazy sod at heart, but is there any chance of incorporating some kind of option to scan only the once while the PC is on?

Thanks...

JJ

13. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Antivirus scanners often perform differently on-demand vs realtime. Sentinel can help focus your AV as well as call on another scanner (spyware, antitrojan, another AV, etc.)

Don't change the purple, I like it! And regarding the hashes, why not mix and match your own, if possible? Then they'd have to target your specific one to break it.
    (btw, you know me as the one that recommended the additional hashes beyond CRC32 :) )

14. Yannis

Yannis Registered Member

Hi to all of you
    Just a few words about Sentinel.
    I use it with antivirus Avast 4.6 freeware and they go very well together. :thumb:
    I hope it helps
    Yannis

15. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I've had it up and running for a week now with no problems. It integrates fine with KAV 5.0 personal and is a nice quick check between full scans with KAV, TrojanHunter and others. I like it.

16. samehere

samehere Guest

I can't get Ewido to run either. I go to program files and then Ewido folder and add SecuritySuite.exe and it won't run Ewido. Pest Patrol doesn't seem to run either. I would also like to add BitDefender free, but that doesn't seem to work either. :(

17. RuntimeWare

The reason this is happening is because Sentinel loads via a shortcut in the "Startup" menu in your Start menu. What you can do is enter the following entry in your registry (disable Auto-Load first):

Open Regedit (Start, Run, Regedit), and navigate to the key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Once you're there, create a new String value by right-clicking on the whitespace to the right and select, "New, String Value". Name the new value "Sentinel" and double-click on the Sentinel entry to edit the startup properties.

Change the Value Data box so that it reads:
    "C:\Program Files\RuntimeWare.com\Sentinel2\Sentinel.exe" /r
    (Make sure the /r is included)

This should work for you!

Also in other news - I started up a new job so I've been very busy lately - I'll have a new version whenever I can get it out (which will have the integrated updater along with other goodies).

D

18. Joliet Jake

Thanks for the info, just a quick question, how and where do I disable auto load?

19. RuntimeWare

Goto Options, then "Edit Settings"

Un-Check the "Auto-Load at Startup" option and make sure you Save the settings.

20. Joliet Jake

Ah right, I though auto-load was in the registry editor. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.