sensiveguard to use with CHX-I to control outbound connections

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zorro zorrito, Aug 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

Zorro,

I got greedy and installed this one, it was a nightmare, BSOD and then on reboot, it locked up my system making it impossible to un-install, just watch out, others may have better experience.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just installed it here and have no problems whatsoever. It actually seems like the perfect program to run with CHX-I, or with just a router (as in my case).

Installed smoothly, then put up a nice info screen explaining what it does and how it works. The options are good.

Basically protects network and file access by programs. In addition to the desired outbound app control for use with CHX/router, it also watches for inbound access to those programs if they're listening. And to top it off, it has file system protection, so malware can't use IE or Outlook etc to do nasty things like execute files without your permission and so on.

I'll run it for a few days at least and see how it goes. It seems great out of the box. Gives you some nice protection without bothering you much with prompts. Yet you can manually configure it as you like.

Thanks Zorro, seems like a good one (so far anyway). :)

Arup - Must be a conflict there with something else on your system. I know we both run Win2k and Avast, so that can't be it. You also had ZA installed, so perhaps remnants of that caused problems? Strange as it works great here, no problems at all.

Edit: Just looked at my Event Logs and noticed one error msg both times I rebooted, saying that the SensiveGuard service hung at startup. Looking at the services list shows it "starting" and not "started", so something weird is going on there. But the program appears to be working, so I'm not sure what's happening. I will keep an eye on it, and if anyone tries it, I suggest you do the same. Otherwise seems pretty good. But the question is: is it really working (running) or not :eek:

Edit 2: Well, just removed it here. It *appears* to be working ok, but I don't like my event viewer logs filled with errors, so I decided to take it off. Looks like it has promise though, so perhaps someone else will have better luck.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

For anyone interested in this program, there is a new release out now (1.05) which is supposed to fix many problems, including the one I referred to earlier in this thread. Haven't tried it yet, but will do so soon..

http://www.sensiveguard.com/download.html

Let's hope it's improved now...

4. Thanks Kerodo, I was waiting for it

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Seems to work ok here for me, problems I had are fixed. But it still causes lock ups and problems on other machines from what I hear.. So I guess this one works for some and not for others. Typical I guess.. Kinda nice program though.. handy for use with a router or CHX...

6. Hi, it would be good to try some leak test with it to see how much it controlls outgoing applications

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There is one problem it has, which is the same problem Sygate has with proxy and loopback. They are thinking of changing and fixing it.

8. Jazzie1

Jazzie1 Registered Member

I would sugest sticking with ZA(P). Works great in tandem with CHX-I. In fact it is the best combo I have found to work under SP2 (XP). Version 6 (ZAP) is quite stable with CHX-I with inet filter disabled (ZA)...

Regards
    Jazzie

++++Software-Security-Central++++

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

At the moment, given the proxy issue, I would have to agree with you jazzie...

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just a quick update on this one: They are currently working on a fix for the proxy issue, so it should be in the next release hopefully. With that fixed, it then could be a nice product (free too) for use with CHX-I and/or routers etc. So look for the next release if you're interested at all.

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Is there a way to install it without the firewall? I'd really like to check it out, but I'm not at all interested in replacing LnS.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Not that I know of Notok. There doesn't appear to be any way to turn off parts of it. It has potential, but there are some problems. It didn't stealth port 0 and 1, which I reported and they claim to have fixed now. Also the proxy issue is fixed, I tried out a beta they sent me on that. So if you try it, you might wait for version 1.06.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.