Sensiveguard Guard review

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kees1958, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhoenixWeb

PhoenixWeb Registered Member

I had this problem too. In the end I gave up and uninstalled it

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Stem thanks,

How do these results compare against other FW's (f.i. Comodo)?

3. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Can you get this program to pass the leaktest DNS tester? I haven't figured out a way, even when I created a DNS Warn rule.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Kees,

I was setting up for further testing. As I am using W2K all DHCP/DNS is performed(when the relavent service is enabled) by "services.exe". In the "Network security setting" I unchecked the "Allow outbound DHCP, name service,...." rule, so I would be given a popup for DHCP/DNS. With DHCP, I was given popup, but a deny rule only blocked DHCP about 50% of the time on boot up. DNS lookups didnt allways cause a popup but was allowed anyway. I did set a rule to block all comms for "Services,exe"(I set a static IP), but DNS lookups where still allowed for this application (and logged within the firewall) although I had the "Deny all" for "Services.exe"

It does appear to be buggy on my W2K setup, and as I mentioned, if I install onto XP pro, the UI will not show.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  5. Kees1958

Nop,

Starting up the DNStester.exe is a user initiated action. Therefore it also matches the allow user initated outbound traffic. Also due to the windows update allowance of svhost to the microsoft website, dnstester also is allowed by that rule. I think setting up a custum for dnstester causes a rules conflict. Normally sensitiveguard markes conflicting rules with fxxxxx in stead of giving it a rules number.

Can't test I am afraid (still does not mean this kind of leak will pass sensivie guard, only that a user initiated dnstest to microsoft.com is not stopped due to other rules).

Regards

6. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

OK - so if it was a real trojan using the same method as DNS Tester, it might be stopped, right?

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello mvdu,
    When the DNS client is active, all applications will use (in XP) svchost for DNS lookups. These internal comms (app-> svchost) are not seen by many firewalls. The easiest way to stop such a leak as DNS_Tester is to disable the DNS client. This will of course mean rules per app will need to be made for the DNS lookups (as each app will make these with the DNS service disabled). There is the possiblity that a trojan could re-enable the DNS service, so a need to put in place rules to block lookups by (XP) svchost is needed.

8. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Thanks, Stem. I was able to get it blocked, but could disabling the DNS client interrupt my internet access?

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi mvdu,
    Disabling the DNS client will only cause any application that requires DNS lookups to perform this itself. So the only downside is the fact you will be prompted (or need to create rules) for each applications that needs this service.

So no, it will not interrupt you internet access.(apart from as mentioned, the extra popups/rules required)

10. Kees1958

MDVU,

How did you block DNS-tester? PLEASE SHARE KNOWLEDGE

Regards

Kees

11. Kees1958

Stem.

I finally got a reply from the author's of the program. They have underestimated the amount of testing they have to do with different hardware and software set ups for home users. So I am lucky, on certain set ups this great program works, on other setups it does not.

:)

12. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Kees1958 - you have to turn off the DNS client, and then go into the firewall rules and turn off any that would automatically allow DNS. I no longer have the program on since I got a BSOD.

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Thanks for the info.

14. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Re: Sensitive Guard review

This....is puzzling to me at first glance. The only way to determine if it's what i can use is to give it a whirl. Wish me luck no BSOD or all bets are off with this one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to replace the default file proyection rules (protection against download of executables and reading of private data).

Choose the default file protection settings (fixed allow and warn option can not be changed). Select file protection tab, select advanced, select the default rules (the top ones), choose edit policy detail (button right of the screen, marked -1), click line (marked -2-), press delete (marked 3) and select apply on th emain screen.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Kees, I tried it today. It seems light. My FW knowledge is very rudimentary though so I might remove it very soon. I want to ask does it alerts on inbound access or just denies by default?
    My main concern is that all popups are of same type/ color. It was much better if the pop ups are in different colors according to the type of alert.
    Are they planning for a newer version in future? Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.