Sending JPGs via email advise requested

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Stro, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stro

Stro Registered Member

Can you please provide advice to me on the best way to email .jpg files?

I'm new to digital photography. I took photos with a 3 megapixel camera of my aunt & uncle during their visit and now want to email them some photos. I'm on broadband, they are on dial-up, by the way.

Can you provide the "best practices" on emailing jpgs?

And if you have experience with these things, please answer some of these questions:

* Can a zip utility compress several large jpgs to a sufficiently small zip package that can be emailed? Or, since jpgs are already compressed files, does a zip utility offer much benefit?

* I read (and scanned to pdf) a newspaper article on a Microsoft Windows Power Toy called Resize Tool. According to the article, the tool compresses a large size jpg to a smaller size for emailing. The person receiving the jpg can then use their installed Resize Tool software to expand the jpg back to its original, large size without too much loss of quality.
    I'm wondering if anyone has used this and can provide comments.
    My uncle it very old and not computer saavy, so I'm shying away from this option for send him the jpgs.

* I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0. I think there is a feature in this software that will create a reduced sized copy (specifically for emailing) of a large jpg.

* Last alternative I can think of is to email the large size jpgs directly. Are their any rule-of-thumbs on how big the jpg attachment can be (for broadband?, for dial-up?)

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
    Stro

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you can use Dropload. the file will stay on the server for 7 days, and you can upload anything up to 100MB. i think you can choose to have them virus scan the file/s too. if you don't like the idea of putting something on a public server you can take the checksum and give it to the person you are sending it to.
    http://www.dropload.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.