Selectively remove XP Restore Points ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rainwalker, Jun 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Greetings........is it possible to selectively remove XP Restore Points ?

2. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Not to hijack your thread, Rainwalker, because I'm glad you asked and I'd like to know as well. But as kind of a follow-up I was hoping that someone could also answer whether or not it is possible to "schedule" XP restore points to execute at specific intervals. Right now, they seem to be randomly selected, and I would like to be able to set them to occur at a specific time, so that I would NOT download, uninstall, etc. any files for that day until after the restore point has been created.

3. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Of course no problem JRCATES....................your hope is also mine........i fear we are both dreaming :p

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Both of you have now asked for features which may be seen in Longhorn because of the existence of this thread :D

5. hadi

hadi Guest

6. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

You can use disk cleanup (accessories, system tools) to clear all but the most recent restore point.

7. JRCATES

OK, not to sound stupid here, Firecat (which I know I likely will), but what is Longhorn? I think of steak when I hear the term Longhorn, but I'm guessing this isn't a restaurant that you are talking about....

8. JRCATES

OK, I found this, so I now understand that it is "code" for Microsoft Windows Development Center....but is this their "R&D" basically? Where they intent to test new products and ideas?

9. dog

dog Guest

Longhorn ... is the current name for Microsoft's next Operating System, which is currently under development and testing. ;)

10. JRCATES

They're trying to get cute, aren't they?

"Longhorn".....I like the sound of "XP" much better....just sounds cleaner and more professional.

Hey, wait a minute....this is Microsoft we're talking about. :doubt:

Man, I gotta get more sleep.......

11. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Which is due to come out when...zzzzzzzzzzzzz...?? :doubt:

Oh by the way I think Longhorn is the code name for it...It will likely be named something different when it hits the market... :rolleyes: :doubt: But with MS who knows.

BigBuck has the only solution I know of on the topic question. ;)

12. JRCATES

True, and since noone mentioned whether or not it is POSSIBLE to create a restore point through WX for a "specific time" daily (rather than random), I 'm guessing not.....

13. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello JRCATES,

About accessing specific SR points: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q309531#appliesto This is about the closest to doing that.

Another type of control is to play with the slider in the SR tab: right click My Computer > properties - emptying part of the SVI (the System Restore file) file out on a FIFO basis - which is what SR does after 90 days or exeeding the 12% drive space defualt size of SVI.

As to timing of SR - it is normally every 24 hours. The caveat is that installs such as MS criticals that create SR points or a manual SR by the user re-set the clock. And don't set your watch by that either, the time may vary depending on how busy the system is otherwise.

SR settings and preferences are stored in the registry in the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore. The intervals can be played with: To adjust the intervals, change the value of RPGlobalinterval from its default setting of 86,400 seconds (24 hours). To cut this in half, to 43,200; to triple, to 259,200 - every 3 days.

Regards - Charles

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  14. Erronius

Erronius Registered Member

There is a Doug Knox .vbs utility that will create a restore point with no user intervention and that can be run as a scheduled task:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_sysrestorepoint.htm

15. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

o_O I looked and tried, No can do! The file that the info is stored in is one long continuous string of info. Of course I'm no expert. Disc cleanup I believe is making a new restore point just prior to doing it's work, and if I'm not mistaking it is not allowing me to select a particular point back. Or am I all nocked up on this?

:oops: Sorry zcv that is correct.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  16. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I think disc cleanup removes all but the most recent point...

17. Valkyri001

I'm inclined to agree with that, since its hard to tell which is happening first.

18. G-Force

G-Force Guest

19. Valkyri001

;) Guess that about covers it! Create away!! but you still can't selectively delete a specific point.
    Thanks for that question!!

20. controler

controler Guest

yes but if you turn off restore then turn it back on all points are gone so yhou can start fresh as a daisy :D

controler

21. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello Erronius,

Thanks for the link to Doug Knox's program - wasn't aware of it.

Hello Valkyri001,

I did say that was about as close as one can get :)

Regards - Charles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.