Selected MSI file does not exist - Rescue CD

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by peterahunt, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterahunt

peterahunt Registered Member

After searching around for a while, I have found that the 64 bit version of your program cannot create a rescue CD until I download the 32 bit version of the installer for the antivirus program, and tell the installer where it is.

Why not simply fix the error message to have a LINK in it, or even better, download the required files when needed.

Come on now, this has been a known issue for over a YEAR, there have been updates since then, and if nothing else the error text could be updated!

(This message should also hopefully tell others the solution to the problem)

Thanks

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

3. peterahunt

Have you read the original comment? I am not confused as to the solution, I am confused as to why such a simple error is allowed to perpetuate in your software, with ZERO guidance or solution via an appropriate error message, or better yet, a worked-in solution.

I should NOT have to figure out why your software failed to create a rescue disk. The error is ambiguous, and leads nowhere. It does not suggest that your original installation package failed to download the required files, or anything useful.

Maybe improve it, rather than making your paying customers use google to make your software work...

4. TyeF

TyeF Former Eset Moderator

Hello,

These reason why ESET SysRescue requires a 32-bit msi installation file is due to various Windows PE limitations. One of them is Windows PE does not include the Windows on Windows 32 (WOW32), Windows on Windows 64 (WOW64), etc. This limitation is from Microsoft and with ekrn running as 32-bit.

The ESET knowledgebase article referenced before notes this requirement.

5. peterahunt

It is obvious in hindsight what went wrong, and why the files were needed, and how to get them, and how to make your software do what should have been a few clicks away.

AGAIN - perhaps include an explanation at the time of error, or a link, or better yet, a SOLUTION. Your users should not have to work around your unwillingness to program the software to retrieve the correct files, etc.

That was my point.

I don't intend to monitor this any more, it is getting too close to an argument.

Fix it or not, I already know how to do it, but other customers might be flailing away in cyberspace with problems they cannot fix, since you are not willing to provide a simple method for them to fix it.

Not all your customers are as able as you to infer solutions, and certainly are not all able to download alternate installers as a package file, locating them, etc on systems with inconsistant file systems (XP vs Vista vs 7). They have paid others to install the original software for them, and you are creating, or at least not fixing a problem.

Thanks

Peter

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

A feature request to do exactly this has been logged and is under consideration for a future release of the software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.