SEHOP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mamen, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mamen

Mamen Registered Member

The article I was reading: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956607

Microsoft recommend enabling SEHOP so why is there no option for it? Why must you tweak the registry or run a tool to enable it?

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's just the way some things are. It's probably too esoteric for most users to be messing with. You'd think if it were that universally important that they would just have enabled it out of the box already.... But I'm sure there are reasons why they didn't.

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

It is like with DEP, in Vista programs failed or did not launched and Vista did not even bother to tell, that it is due to DEP enabled. IN IE, DEP causes extensions to fail.
    When I instal Windows to my friends, DEP is the first thing I allways disable, because most of them play games and DEP and games just do not play well together.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Really? I never noticed that. Does this affect a lot of games? What exactly does it do, maybe I have seen it but never knew what it was. I play FPS games usually if any, do you know of specific titles that are prone to this effect?

Sul.

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I can not really say what games, I have not play a real game for about 2 years, I play old games from GOG now, they are even compatibilite with Windows 64-bit. But my friend, who bought my PC still complained about it. He ussually received a message, that a game stopped working, and when DEP was disabled, it worked fine. On google, there are many links and titles, I guess it depends on hardware as well. The main problem is, that some software just is not properly programmed and that causes buffer overflow, nocd for games are good examples, those are just quick fixes, but it happens to original games as well. Extensions for browsers crashes for the same reason.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yeah maybe back during Vista's pinnacle, programs had issues with DEP, not anymore. I've been using many many apps with DEP and SEHOP. I've also enabled DEP on gaming PC's with no issues. Most of these PCs are Steam PC's that play massive varieties of games.

Like DEP, it will need settling in time. For example, back when that article was written, SEHOP had issues with apps like Skype, which it doesn't with the latest versions of Skype.

Eventually these things will be enabled by default, whether that be Windows 8, 9, etc. That allows suitable time for developers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.