seems like someone is trying to cut off wikileaks entirely

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by vtol, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

And then there is the question - who is the U.S. government if not the people of the United States? There's still more attention being paid to how the documents were leaked than the information in the documents. The people of the United States PAID for these documents and all the lawlessness described therein.

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Are you saying every classified document in the US government contains lawlessness??

5. nightrace

nightrace Registered Member

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/46415

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Absolutely not. However, I think it DOES fall under whistleblowing when the documents are full of illegal actions. Of course, the attention is now on how the docs got out rather than what's actually in them - but that won't last long. I'm making the case that it's OUR government and OUR documents and that somebody saw the American people were being lied to (understatement) and let the dogs out....err....docs. Now it's a high-tech lynching of let's kill the messenger rather than be outraged by the message that slipped out of the hands of those we entrust our government to. And there's no partisanship to the outrage - there's red meat for liberals and conservatives alike.

7. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2010
  8. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Just to throw in another angle : what John Young from cryptome (another online whistle-blower) thinks about it here (1/3) interview.

9. nightrace

Some insight into WikiLeaks and Assange...

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/te...l-who-ignited-a-cyber-war-20101210-18sxk.html

10. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

EasyDNS Now Supports Wikileaks - Wired

11. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Interesting to see how strong support for Assange is down here.
    The Prime Minister (gillard) and the AG (Mclelland) have put their tails btwn their collectives and gone running for cover after all the bellicose hyperbole about "illegalities" :)

A letter signed off on by > 100 prominent Ozzies in support has been posted
    http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/41914.html

I can tell you there are some heavy hitters there, and Geoffrey Robertson has signed on for the defence.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...-robertson-qc-the-great-defender-2157455.html
    http://www.google.com/search?&q=geoffrey robertson

Also interesting is the backlash in the Labour Party party room: there have been Leaks !! :D about stringent criticisms from party members at the public statements by the government and reminders that Australian citizens abroad are entitled to due process and consular support, not ridiculous grandstanding by elected representatives.

Some one needs to remind a few others about that.
    Check some of the attributed quotes at the head of that letter. !
    Those people accuse Assange of terrorism. ??
    Quite simply, those individuals should be charged with criminal incitement.

I read that "Moral Void" article from NYR: mixed up superficial ruminations, no direction, no point, just rambling. Title grossly misleading. Ppffftt. Puffery.
    Really, the eds at NYR should have been a bit more selective.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Remember, that wasn't a formal review or article, but a NYR Blog posting ("Roving thoughts and provocations from our writers") by a NYRB longtime contributor.

14. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

15. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

"[This is the first in a series of three articles that will be devoted to the subject of Wikileaks, secrecy, the state, and transformation. This is intended as a survey of some of the opinions I have found most interesting.]"

from an article "The Wikileaks Revolution" by Maximilian Forte - http://zeroanthropology.net/2010/12/10/the-wikileaks-revolution/

16. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

According to Meriadoc's link and John Young, Wikileaks founder Assange is a member of Cypherpunk a sponsored (by) US Intelligence organization(s).

Sameer Parekh, a member of Cypherpunk, was or is a US Marine, having failed Marine Officer training due to injury.

Yes, Wikipedia is my source. :eek:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  17. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Cypherpunks are a "sponsored US Intelligence organization"? Tell that to Tim May :rolleyes:

OK, and so o_O

Well, that explains it ;)

18. nightrace

19. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

20. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

So much of Democracy...:thumbd:
    So much of Freedom of Speech...:thumbd:

21. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Re: The Guardian: 'The first global cyber war has begun'

..and are accompanied by non-anonymous wacktivists who blindly used LOIC and send their IP address with every single 'attack' against a site.

I wonder how many of the 4chan kiddo's (bored with talking trash about an 11-year old) aren't aware of the traces they leave/left all over.

Researchers from the University of Twente DACS/Design and Analysis of Communication Systems' group have published a report on how easily LOIC users can be traced if proper anonymization isn't used also.
    DACS' LOIC report PDF link

22. hierophant

I've never paid much attention to Anonymous, or 4chan, generally. And I've been amazed to discover how non-anonymous most Anonymous bother to be. I mean, as y'all know, I'm somewhat obsessive about anonymity technologies, and all I do is post on internet forums. These people are running DDoS attacks against major corporations, and many of them apparently don't even use proxies. They are cannon fodder, IMHO, pwned by the core Anonymous whom they pretend to be.

Also, FWIW, I've often wondered why Wikileaks doesn't operate more anonymously. Although I get the value of having a public voice, i.e. Julian Assange, I don't get why they don't hide their servers. Any thoughts?

23. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

IMO, it would be contradictory to expose corruption and lawlessness that's hidden by "classified" or "secret", then try to remain hidden yourself. This entire operation only has value if the majority (or a large percentage) of people stand up and say "we've had enough of this". The people who take this stand will have to do so openly and in masse. In this case, Wikileaks needs to be an example. If they hide, that just gives the powers that be publicity ammunition. All aspects of this movement against classifying corruption has to be up front and in their face. Nothing less will be effective.

I wish Anonymous and 4chan would use a little more restraint and rethink their strategy. No matter how mad you get or how good it feels, retaliation hurts the cause. Attacking PayPal, Amazon, etc will do nothing but drive away the very people who need to be on board. Use that anger to dig out blatant examples of corruption and lawlessness being hidden and get it in front of people. This way, people will get mad at the lies and the policies that have made real peace impossible, and they'll get mad at the right people.

24. hierophant

OK, I get that. And OTOH, you might last longer hidden.

25. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

lol. Possibly. Then again, my best years are long past, and if something that small helped in even the slightest way towards making this a better world, I'd say it was worth it. Hiding or burying your head in the sand solves nothing, and doing that is at least partly responsible for where we are now. The common man/woman gets very few opportunities in their lifetime to make a real difference in this world. If you fail to act on those opportunities, you're not being true to yourself, let alone anyone else. It may be hard to live with the consequences, but living with yourself and the knowledge that you chose not to act for the greater good of humanity and the planet can be a lot harder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.