Seeking help w/ IE/OE6 .dbx folder importing from proficient user

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jayzzz, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I got a new computer a few months ago. I replaced a 2-yr. old HP Pavilion & Windows XP Home with a Dell, also running XP Home. Both have IE/OE6.

I've tried everything I've read, but cannot import the .dbx folders from the HP into OE6 in the Dell. Some of them are on the Dell's desktop. Today, I've been congratulated several times for my "success," which is nearer to accomplishing this task than I've been since I began trying. Still, there is nothing in the OE6 mail folders that pre-dates this machine, except for the messages welcoming my identities to OE6 that were originally delivered to the HP back in 2002, after a destructive recovery (or restore?). When I click on the .dbx files on my desktop to open them, they flicker as if getting a signal, but nothing opens or happens further.

If anyone is willing and able to advise me on how to get these imported, working through whatever is malfunctioning in me and/or my OE6 , I sure would appreciate it if you'd contact me for futher details/discussion. I will be notified of your response by email. Right now, I'm too frustrated to sit at the desk until after I've had a long (few hours, at least) break, but I'll be back as soon as I feel less burnt out.

BTW, at midnight, PDT, my broadband ISP is changing domain names. They say it won't cause any interruption of Internet access. :rolleyes: We all know how that can go. If you are kind enough to offer your help and I am slow to respond, it will mean the ISP is as incompetent under the new name as it was under the old ownership. I will respond as soon as I regain connectivity........mj :)

2. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hello,

Don't import them : just copy/paste your *dbx in your mails storage folder : they will overwrite the existing ones.

Make sure in properties they have only "archive" ticked.

That's all ;)

Rgds,

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi JacK,

Wouldn't that destroy the mail she has received sofar on the new computer?
    Or would that still be present afterwards?

Regards,

Pieter

4. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hi Pieter,

Yes, it does, it's to be done immediately after a fresh install or if you don't have any message to save from the new install.

To add an existing *dbx folder in OE6 :
    Open OE6
    Create a folder named "fake" for instance dans copy in it any message an quit OE

Search for the folder fake.dbx and delete it. Rename the folder you want to add and move it (or copy it) into the folder where you found the first fake.dbx

Reopen OE and see what is in fake now (you may rename fake as you like after)

Rgds,

5. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Sounds as if I've got a problem. :doubt:

I've got lots of messages I don't want to lose in current folders and some I don't want to lose are in the folders I want to import. :D

Most of folders I had in the old 'puter have their names duplicated in folders in Dell, plus Dell has additional folder names. The names of the .dbx folders from the HP don't match much of the folder names I had in there, so am hoping that's because they've been compressed and re-named as a group by "the system." :(

If you'd be so kind as to take a guess: NOW what do I do? o_O

mj

6. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

You said: "To add an existing *dbx folder in OE6 :
    Open OE6 Create a folder named "fake" for instance dans copy in it any message an quit OE

Search for the folder fake.dbx and delete it. Rename the folder you want to add and move it (or copy it) into the folder where you found the first fake.dbx"

Do you mean to rename the folder I want to import with its messages in it to "fake.dbx," and it will then work out? And do same with each folder, using different words instead of "fake"? Also, does "dans" mean "and" or "then" or ?

Is it safer to choose to copy rather than to move, so I've still got the original intact if I get any kind of surprise?

Thank you for advising me...mj

7. JacK

JacK Registered Member

You said: "To add an existing *dbx folder in OE6 :
    Open OE6 Create a folder named "fake" for instance dans copy in it any message and quit OE

Search for the folder fake.dbx and delete it. Rename the folder you want to add and move it (or copy it) into the folder where you found the first fake.dbx"

Do you mean to rename the folder I want to import with its messages in it to "fake.dbx," and it will then work out? And do same with each folder, using different words instead of "fake"?
    >> Yes, I do. When you have the folder in OE, you may move all its messages to the folder of your choice and then delete the empty one.
    Also, does "dans" mean "and" or "then" or ?
    >> Sorry, I meant "then"

Is it safer to choose to copy rather than to move, so I've still got the original intact if I get any kind of surprise?
    >> If you don't have a copy on another support, it would be wiser indeed ;)

8. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Hi, JacK-

Just wanted you to know that I've been delayed in implementing what you've told me due to re-organizing the room in which my computer is, preparing it for a new pc desk, yet to be chosen, etc. Paper REALLY can pile up! :eek:

It's been a good feeling to know I've got a solution thanks to you, and [glow=red,2,300]I'll let you know how it works out WHEN it works out. I hope I'm not looking at longer than a week from now, on that.[/glow] I've never done "glow" text before!)

I've wanted a few things in the .dbx for 3 mos., but HAVE survived without them. I REALLY want this room tidier and easier on the eyes, and figure the files aren't going anywhere. It's taken a long time for me to decide I'm willing to give up my huge, flat desk for something with a smaller surface, more levels, and DRAWERS! Now, I can't get it done soon enough, if you know the feeling.

Thank you so very much for your advice. Delayed implementation does NOT mean your help is any less appreciated...it means this room is a mess! ;)

mj

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Just a thought. Could you not create a new identity then copy the .dbx files to that?
    This will create a new idnetity under your local settings which you can then copy the .dbx files to from the other pc.
    To access either just switch identities. There may be a way of running two copy's of OE & then it should be easy to copy and paste between the identities.

May be worth a try! :D

10. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Thank you, Pilli. It sounds like an idea worth looking into...and already have a default identity in place and doing nothing that could be used, if your theory is right. I use two others in Outlook Express, and have left that there because....I'm not sure why, I just did, and it's called "Main Identity." WILL look into it.

Wish the papers I should be continuing to separate into trash and piles to organize/save were as interesting to take care of as stuff on-line is!

mj

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Use the add new identity item call it jayzzz - this will create a new directory under you local user - Application data - Identities - Note the current ones name first as it has wierd and wonderful alphanumeric description, the new one will also have a similar obscure identity. I wish sometimes that MS would follow a pattern, why the Dickens they can't call it OE Main or similar I just don't know. Rant over :D
    Then when the new identity is constructed copy the .dbx files to it. I am pretty certain now that you can have two OE's open so C & P should work.

Sounds like your PC is not working for you in the "paperless office" stakes :D

12. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Hi, Pilli,

Will have to figure out which is easier between your idea and the DBXtractor. Will then take the easy path.

My brain cells can't keep track of the "paperless office," because once it's off my screen, it's gone from my head without the physical reminder of paper. Add that I procrastinate just a bit (more like plenty), and that's how I get these little problems. Could have worse troubles, though.

mj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.