Seeking feedback about Rohos Minidrive encryption

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by grannyGrump, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grannyGrump

grannyGrump Registered Member

I've just started using this app. I've never used "volume" encryption before, only single file-encryption.

It seems like a nice app, but is still rather young, and has a few rough edges. Documentation is a little sketchy. The developer seems responsive to user input.

I'm trying it because you can actually use it from a usb drive on other computers *without admin privileges*, and apparently *without Registry writes*.
    It uses AES 256-bit encryption.
    It creates a "hidden/system" folder, and puts the encrypted volume (to a max of 2 GB) within that folder.

It installs a browser tool in the root of the drive where your encrypted volume lives so you can decrypt/encrypt on the fly.
    The browser loads those files to a temp folder within the Rohos folder, and offers to securely delete them when you exit (one-pass overwrite with random data).

If you choose to open the encrypted volume *without* using the browser, it mounts as another drive letter in Explorer, and then you are on your own as far as deleting temp files (this is NOT mentioned in help documents.)

One problem I found and reported at the Rohos forum was that it creates a "debug or history" text log that includes names of every file and folder accessed using the browser. Aside from any other issue, I felt that uninformed users might be putting personal/sensitive information in file and folder names, which could possibly be read by unauthorized persons. I was informed at Rohos forum that the log was intended for "technicians to review if users have problems", and that they would remove the log on the next release.

I know TrueCrypt and others offer more options and algorithms, but Rohos seems acceptable for my minimal security needs. I don't need to hide stuff from any of the 3-letter acronym organizations, just need to keep some personal information private.
    And it is wonderfully simple to use.

I haven't been able to find any "expert" reviews for this product, only editorial-type reviews at LifeHacker, PCworld, etc. So, I'm hoping for feedback from other users who might offer pro's and cons for this app.

I look forward to your input, thanks.

2. grannyGrump

grannyGrump Registered Member

Wow, I'm surprised that NOBODY has any opinion about this software.
    :eek:

I would have expected that with so many portable drive users, at least a few of the forum members would have tried it out. I know you all can't have admin rights to run TrueCrypt everywhere.

I know zilch about encryption, and need to know pro's and cons of this software.
    If you tried it and hated it, please tell me that too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.