Seeking an app that is better than chkdsk

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I just ran chkdsk on drive C. Chkdsk moved along at a decent pace until it got to #5 -- checking free space. That function was waaay too slow so I aborted it.

Ergo, I am seeking a program that does approximately the same thing as WinXP's chkdsk, but faster. I would also like it to be more controllable as to WHICH steps it does & does not do.

Please-- I'm not interested in do-everything apps such as TuneUp Utilities. Just something simple, fast, and (hopefully) cheap.

Aloha from Hawaii... bellgamin

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

u can try hd workbench. disk checking is just one of its functions tho, it can also monitor ur disk's smart status.

there is also sysinternal's ntfschk.

i dont know if either is faster but it rele depends on your hardware and how much free space there is.

3. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Be aware that a lot of apps that do hard disk checking are usually front-ends bolted onto chkdsk anyway, so although some may offer extra functionality, they probably won't be able to control which steps are carried out and certainly won't be any faster than chkdsk. That's the main reason why I still use chkdsk myself.

4. bellgamin

I found HD Tune at Beta News. It is absolutely, positively excellent. Free, to boot.

It scans fairly fast but, AFAIK, it doesn't repair problems -- merely identifies problems & gives locations thereof. Thus, if problems are found, then I use chkdsk to fix them. In the majority of cases (hopefully) there won't be any problems.

I checked 2 large HDs yesterday, in jig time. Both were fine. Life is goooood.:)

5. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

I use Harddisk Vendor's own tools for this purpose. For ex: WD Diagnostics for Wester Digital HD's

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Reading an entire disc does take a long time, its a limitation of the speed of the drive, not chkdsk.
    Take a WD Raptor 100gig. Can do 100 megs a second read (roughly at best), thats about 1000s to read the entire drive, that over 15mins, slower driver, bigger capacity and things will only take longer.

HD Tune has a quick and a thorough mode.... that is just as slow as checkdisK when doing a full check.

7. bellgamin

I understand. Thanks.

I guess HD Tune *seems* faster because it has a more detailed graphic display of its progress. It also offer some additional features that I find useful (some of them are shown below).

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.