Seeking a Tutor/Guide/Help to Restore Full HD - Using Backup & Recovery 14 Free

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Oaklandz, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Oaklandz

Oaklandz Registered Member

I need help to restore a full HD ARChive to a brand new HD disk. I am a technology professional with 25 years of working on Windows systems. Backup & Recovery 14 Free has me stumped.

I have the archive available on my internal drive (and a network drive), but when I try to add it to the database in the Recovery Process -- I get error messages. I cannot access my backup archive from within B&R14.

I would appreciate any help -- but to make it easiest, I would like to use Teamviewer (free, easy screen sharing) or Skype, or a phone call ... all of these would be much faster and easier than writing many messages in a forum. Let me know if you will tutor/guide me to get this done -- and what time is good for you. I am in California PST timezone.

Thanks - Oaklandz

2. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Are you doing this from a bootable CD/DVD or USB that you created which is the correct way to do this? I use HDM15S but for the most part, should function the same and have restored about six times in the past week(bad week)!

3. Oaklandz

Thanks for responding -- Nope! I had no idea I need to do this. I have the following 12 files: a ARC#_PFI, a ACR#_PBF, and five each of IMG#_PFM and IMG#_PFM which correspond to the five OEM partitions in a WIN8.1 disk. My goal is to restore this backup to a brand new, never plugged in or partitioned, identical HD as the one the image was pulled from. I assumed I can do this FROM a.) using my currently installed drive/OS, which has PBAR15 (full) and the backup files on it TO b.) the new HD attached via USB3.0. Is this possible? If not, how can I do this?

Here's the other problem - in the main console, I cannot get my backup files registered/indexed. Basically, I can't open them to restore from a VD or container, or whatever. I tried many ways and times, even with the backup files on a network drive. I can't mount them at all.

Would you be willing to connect with Teamviewer to walk me through this? I can can even use two PCs connected at once, so if one goes offline while in recovery mode, I can still show the screen using the camera on the other one.

4. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

My English is bad for conversations, but I not bad know Paragon BR. If you agree, I'm willing to try via TeamViewer.

5. wptski

wptski Registered Member

First you need to us Boot Media Builder from the Express Panel View to either create a bootable USB flash drive or an ISO file to burn a CD/DVD with. Your also using the file based backup method which takes up more space and "might" be a bit slower and you should use the newer VD method. You boot up with that CD/DVD/USB Flash drive, select the Full Launcher, select the location of your archive, select the PFI file from the archive as the source and your new drive as the destination. At that point you Apply the changes and it should start the restore.

6. Oaklandz

wptski, can I do this with a.) boot from USB, b.) attach the new blank drive via USB and write the restore to it, and c.) keep my currently installed OS/drive in the pc and be sure it is safe - nothing will be written to it? I don't have a backup of that drive at the moment. But, this is the source of my recovery files. OR -- do I have to install the new blank drive, boot with a USB, and attach another USB drive with the recovery files (and keep my current OS/drive set on the side)?

7. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Yes, but the destination drive "must" be one attached at boot up. If you only have one USB port, booted from that one, replaced with another USB device, Paragon may balk at that. Once you boot up from a USB flash drive, everything is loaded into memory and one really no longer needs it but that device/info/etc "might" be in remembered, although there is a function to "reload" disk info so "maybe" if one removed the USB flash drive "reloaded" the disk info it'll find the newly attached drive. I just never tried that!

You just have to be very careful when selecting source and destination drives either way. Sometimes drive letters are changed making it confusing at times.

EDIT:
    I booted up from my USB flash drive, removed it, replaced it with another of different size, did a Reload Disk Info, although taking a bit, it did find it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.