Seeking a "hack" to convert AV to on-demand

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheMozart, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enemyofarsenic

enemyofarsenic Registered Member

lol, it got under your skin? I agree, you can use Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware etc.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

If you select 'later' three times you shouldn't be prompted again.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

There are plenty of on-demand options, as seen in my list. Many of them (near the top) are good.

Anyhow, I know for sure Avira and Avast can be custom installed without real-time features. Then you'll need to remove their startup entries, and maybe disable their background updates. You can disable the real-time features for other programs as well.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would surgest using Emsisoft Emergency Kit

its an on demand scanner and has an updater function. you dont need to install it all you do is unpack the archive to a file and run the exe file.

it has two engines.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  5. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

Hello, if you think 64 MB(or 32 MB in version 2.7) in RAM is too much, you can disable automatic startup of the real time protection under advanced setup in NOD32 latest versions, just on demand scanner is available for you

better yet, if you perform regular scan you can schedule e.g a weekly scan of your local drives, or you can use right click menu for scans automatic update is enabled by default

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  6. blasev

blasev Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

7. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Is Hitman PRO a proper AV or just a malware detector like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware?

I have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, but I was told that I cannot use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware alone and that I ALSO need a proper and good AV. Why is that? Why can't Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware be my stand alone AV?

And how do I add Hitman Pro to right clicking so I can right click on file/folder to scan?:blink:

8. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I've tried it but it's very annoying as it wants to download 70+mb of data often as part of it's update. That's such a huge load of data.

9. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Malwarebytes is an antimalware scanner, which does not replace a realtime AV. And yes, Hitman PRO is an on-demand scanner like MBAM Free. HMP is already inserted into your context menu so you don't have to tweak anything.

If you want a lightweight, free realtime AV, Panda Cloud and Avast are amazing in terms of protection and performance. :thumb:

10. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

HMP wasn't showing up when I right click on a file or folder...I had to enable it in settings. Cheers.

11. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

UPDATE: I installed Avira + SP2 and enabled everything, including the WebGuard. And I tested it running on my Laptop and I must confess I am surprised how light it seems to be. I don't notice it's running and I can even play online games like battlefield without any noticing of the Avira running.

So I will just run Avira AS IS and have it running resident in memory.

Thumbs up to Avira..I didn't realise it was so light and I didn't realise I wouldn't notice it being on..my laptop is not more sluggish or anything.:thumb:

So I now have Avira running resident + I have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware + I have Hitman Pro. I guess I should be covered?

12. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Yep. You're covered. :thumb:

13. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Yep, thanks for your help :D

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's actually a multi-engine cloud program using 5 proper AVs (6 engines).

15. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Well since it's running light enough for you with the resident protection, then yeah, why not leave it be?

But if you were looking for an on-demand only scanner, Hitman Pro includes Avira in addition to 3 other vendors, so you'd get Avira's detection capabilities and then some. The only problem is if it does happen to find something, then 30 days later you'd have to pay for it if you want to continue using it to clean infections. So MalwareBytes & SuperAntiSpyware would be good compliments in addition to it.

The light footprint you speak of is what draws me to Avira. I'm running Premium now with Proactive as well as the Web Guard, and it's just as light as Personal. Low resource usage is essential for me as my specs are outdated.

If I were using something other than Avira I would buy Hitman Pro as a 2'nd opinion scanner without hesitation.

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It doesn't include Avira anymore. It's now Emsisoft, Prevx, Dr.Web, G Data (Avast+BitDefender), and IKARUS.

17. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Thanks for the scoop. It creates the placebo now that nothing is overlapping, and to somebody with OCD like me that makes all the difference :D

I would still like an advanced install option though. Nothing goes in my OS partition except my OS, and anything that needs to hook itself to it to work right. I know it's portable but I'd prefer to install it. If this is remedied then I buy a license fo sho.

18. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Impressive.

Any ideas why it stopped using Avira?

19. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Licensing issues, probably regarding money fees back and forth between Surfright and Avira.

20. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

So in your opinion, if I use Hitman PRO to scan all new programs I am about to install + use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, I don't really need to keep running Avira in memory do I?

I can uninstall Avira and just keep Hitman PRO + Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to scan my system?

21. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

Always get dirty inside a sandbox.
    Cats do it.

22. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

A couple of those were known for high FP's at least at one time were they not?

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Your choice, they won't detect the exact same things.

24. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

If you really want a setup without resident AV a very strong one is Shadow Defender+Sandboxie:thumb:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  25. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

SD ain't free though :( Wish they had a freeware version or a free scanner.

I removed Avira, because I am certain it slowed down my internet connection. As soon as I installed Avira, I began getting slower download speeds, and now that I removed it, my internet seems faster again. My imagination or a legitimate issue?:blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.