Seeing USB drive From Boot Disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rod Williams, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Michael76

That what I have found when going through a hub. [Mind's a Trust as well]

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

2. LegacyUSB

LegacyUSB Guest

Just a comment not immediately related to any message in this thread.

Two problems I've seen with TI and USB:

1. On Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo, the USB drive was not detected when booting from CD. After removing support for legacy USB drives in the BIOS, it was seen OK. (Legacy devices are USB keyboard and/or mouse).

2. I don't remember if this was from CD boot or Windows, but I had a lot of trouble with the USB device sometimes being detected, then later not. I was not physically switching off the machine from run to run. At first I could sometimes get it to work by using a different USB port and generally fiddling with the drive, but finally found that the USB port was usually found if and only if the machine was switched off and on again. not just rebooted with Ctrl-Alt-Del or the reset switch..

I don't know if the problem is due to TI or not.

HTH

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello LegacyUSB,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Thank you for your investigation. We will try to test it in our Testing Lab.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

4. mbschulman

mbschulman Registered Member

Hi Ilya,

I did as you requested.

I plugged the external DVD drive AND turned it on, then booted the notebook with the Windows XP CD in its internal CD Driver:
    - The Notebook booted into XP from its HDD.

I also tried the following:
    - Connected to the notebook a USB2.0 external enclosure ("GoodMan", very cheap Chinese-made, don't know the chipset) with a 2.5" HDD in it, and booted the notebook with the TrueImage bootable CD in the Notebook's internal drive.
    TrueImage booted (from the bootable CD) and recognised the USB HDD where I had an image, which I verified without any problems.

Just to make sure, I tried again with the LG DVD driver but got the same result as before; that is, the notebook boots into XP ignoring the TrueImage CD.

Hope all this helps...

5. Acronis Support

Hello mbschulman,

Thank you for the investigation you performed. According to your description you cannot boot with any bootable CD, be it Acronis Bootable CD or Windows Installation CD. It seems that your notebook tries to boot from plugged DVD drive instead of internal CD, however, I may be wrong here. I would recommend that you contact your hardware manufacturer (Compaq, I believe) for the possible solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi again mbschulman,

Did you ever enter your notebook's BIOS set and check the boot order of the floppy, CD-ROM, Hard Drive, external USB drive(s), etc as requested in my reply to you at Post #100 above? If so, could you please advise what are they set to?

Regards

7. caunt

caunt Guest

some Toshiba laptops won't boot from CD without holding down a special key-combo. Might want to check with the manufacturer.

8. broodwich

broodwich Registered Member

hi
    i have a Superlink USB 2.0 external HDD enclosure that still does not work. I have been in contact with tech support via email with responses from several different people at acronis. The last suggestion that you emailed me involved disabling legacy usb support, i sent u an email explaining that these settings had no effect 10 days ago and have not received a response.
    Please get back to me as soon as possible.
    thank you

9. Acronis Support

Hello broodwich,

Please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply? I will find out the reason for the delay.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

10. broodwich

broodwich Registered Member

u have since responded to my most recent emails however we are now getting "usb.c device not accepting new address=2 (error= -75)" when using the newest iso u sent
    the second line reads... "usb.c failed to set device 3 default configuration (error= -110)"

11. Acronis Support

Hello broodwich,

I have found your letter and Marian will reply to it soon.

Also you can try update your copy of Acronis True Image 8.0 to the 903 build. In order to get access to updates you should register account on our site (or just log in if you have already created it) and then register your copy of the product, then create a new bootable CD and see whether the problem remains. If the new build doesn't help please create a new sysinfo.txt file and send it to Marian.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.