Seecrypt

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by spy1, Jun 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding Open Source I noticed RedPhone (RP) for Android. I'm more willing to trust RP for that reason, but even if it works as advertized aren't there other considerations? It may not be possible to eavesdrop on an encrypted call, but doesn't the fact that it's encrypted stick out like a "sore thumb"? I bet the gov types are particularly on the lookout for encryption, which implies intentional secrecy and smarts. And although you can't get at the content can you still determine the locations and phone numbers? Seems like a good way to put a bullseye on your phone.

2. Saytar

Saytar Registered Member

My 2cents....not worth much anymore. But we are debating security here, sooo...From what I read about SC the assigned phone # and/or email are used much like a DNS server to translate your "ID" into an alogrithim and merely used to indicate you are a valid system user and it is up to you to determine if the other party is trustworthy.
    As for the communication part I am led to believe that the actual conversation takes place peer to peer not necessarily thru there server's, but through what ever servers are available and necessary to connect the call. It states in there literature that no messages are possible as they DO NOT store any data on there servers.

The only fly in this ointment I see is IF they are a Gov agency. Even so the communications is AES encrypted and seems like a lot of effort would have to be expended on cracking the conversations of a few maybe crooks vs the easy effort of harvesting the mountain of information that most dim wit's (and crooks) post freely on social media.

Even government is lazy when there is so much for free just lying around for anyone to read. Just keep posting (even more) non-sense on social media for them to harvest and keep the really important stuff private.

IE.....hide in plain site.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

This article lays out the situation well:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/061413-does-encryption-really-shield-you-270863.html?page=1

4. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Encryption looks suspicious? Well lets scoop up all on-line bankers! This is a trap, and probably intended: "Don't use encryption or the G-Man will get you!" (Not from you Victek, but from governments). I say ENCRYPT EVERYTHING! IT'S LEGAL!

Snowden just said proper encryption is safe, in his Q&A at the Guardian.

You can use OSTEL.co with a VPN, to hide endpoints, if you want.

PD

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I don't think the fact that encryption is conspicuous implies it shouldn't be used. It's just important to understand intended and unintended consequences. You don't know who the Lone Ranger is, but everyone is always asking "hey who's the guy in the mask?" :)

The main obstacle I see for using Red Phone or OSTEL.co on my cell is getting all the other people I talk with to use it. I could educate friends and family, but it's impractical for business.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.