security update for xp(KB835732

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by spins4, May 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spins4

spins4 Registered Member

Every day for the 18 days, I've received an update alert through the automatic updates with microsoft, for the same update number. Is it not installing properly or is it the same update with 'sub categories'? In my installation history, it says it is successful, but still the alerts keep coming! Any ideas??

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Well, the quickest way to determine whether a patch has installed correctly or not that I know of (other than checking your installation history in WU, of course), is to d/l and run the BelArc Advisor from here: BelArc Advisor d/l site .

It hasn't steeered me wrong yet (and it has, in the past, caught some that weren't correctly installed).

As you'll see looking at the screenshot, all my stuff passes verification - and the one you're referring to is third from the bottom on the right.

I realize that doesn't solve your primary problem unless that particular one doesn't show up as verified by BelArc - if it does show up as verified, about all I can suggest is removing it from the list of available updates in WU by going into your "Personalize Windows Updates" link on the WU page and UN-checking that particular one so it won't offer it to you anymore.

Either that, or turn "Automatic Updates" off, re-start, turn them back on and see if it clears itself (you have run a defragment and a Disk Management lately, haven't you? And - what in the world is your OS, anyway?). Pete

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Okay, got it. Pete

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2004
  4. Steve V

Steve V Guest

I had the same problem with KB835732 on my Windows 2000 Dell laptop -- I would get prompted every day to install the patch, and each time it told me that the patch was installed successfully. But the belarc program told me that it was not installed. So instead of using automatic update, I downloaded the installation file from the Microsoft website, which has the name Windows2000-KB835732-x86-ENU.EXE and ran it. It gave me an error message that there wasn't enough space on my C:\ drive. So I cleaned up a few files and tried again, and this time the patch installed fine, and windows update now says that the patch is installed.

5. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

WOA.... am I hallucinating?

dang... been a while I've seen you Post Spy1 :)

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.