Security, Time to put up or shut up.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greencoconut

greencoconut Registered Member

I disagree with some of you here. ANY computer I get my hands on, customer/friend/family, I remove all traces of Norton or McAfee and install NOD32 without asking. 90% of the time I dont have to explain why I did. The few who ask I will take the time to show them the difference is resource usage, speed, etc. I've NEVER had a PC with NOD32 installed get any type of infection - incredible but true. In fact, I used to have a couple offices with Norton/Symantec installed that I would regularly visit to clean out malware. After finally convincing them to switch to NOD32, I've never heard from them again. Bad for my business but it shows the quality of the product. Rarely, I get the chance to resell a Dell PC for a little change. It's sad that the first thing I do when I open the box is spend an hour removing useless software that comes preinstalled, including McAfee

2. greencoconut

greencoconut Registered Member

As a side note, look at this. I came across this problem with a new customer who just bought NIS2007. This is one of the few who haven't let me switch them over to NOD32.. I did exactly what the post says, which basically hinders NIS2007, and explained to him what was going on, and he still wanted to stick with it. At least I'm sure I'll get alot of repeat business from him

heres the link: http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=730140

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I used Norton for three years or so. I was satisfied, and it never caused me any problems. I am not sure why I switched, but probably read so many "it's bloated" posts, and I wanted to try others.

I do not personally know a single person who uses anything except Norton, McAfee, AVG free, except one who uses Trend Micro.
    Personally, I do not hear of dissatisfaction with any of them. My son has complained about McAfee and its Site Advisor pop ups.

I suspect that I could use Norton forever without any problems. I never noted my computer running slower than others, I could get it cheap, and never had an update or infection problems.
    It also scores near the top on AVC.

I cannot truly say that some of the most highly thought of AVs, by folks here, have been as trouble free as Norton was. So far only Avast Home, NOD, and F-Secure have been essentially trouble free.
    Both KAV and Avira have been buggy lately for me, and I removed BD a year ago due to lack of compatibility with other security applications.

While I took the trials of Norton and McAfee off of the last two computers I purchased, if all I had was McAfee or Norton I would not be worried.
    I would not recommend that the average user remove it unless he was having problems that could reasonably be traced to Norton.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Though I never used Norton, I couldn't agree more with your statement :thumb:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.