Security Task Manager vs Process Explorer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

In looking at some old posts I saw that STM was supposed to have caught a lot of key loggers. Can it catch more running processes than PE? If any one has tried both I would love to hear what you think.

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I think STM gives a bit more info on running processes, and can identify malware by "signatures", that´s about it, may be useful to some, but I don´t need it. And it´s quite slow if I recall correctly. But the SpyProtector tool that comes with the full does look a bit interesting, it claims to be able to stop message based keyloggers, but I won´t be able to check it out, since they don´t offer it as a download. :rolleyes:

3. Kaupp

Kaupp Registered Member

The most important difference between the two for me is that Process Explorer does not show what drivers are currently loaded in memory.

This is the main reason why STM is slower starting becuase it takes a bit longer to scan for running drivers.

regards

Kaupp

4. haraldo

haraldo Registered Member

IMHO the process explorer is a great tool for software developer. PE shoes a lot of internal information for each processes like thread IDs, transfered bytes. Normally such data are useless for the average surfer and computer user.
    Security Task Manager ist a great tool for the average surfer and computer user. It lists hidden processes and can calculate a risk rating for each processes, driver, BHO and other active things on your computer.

5. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Thank you all for the info.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It has no signatures I think.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If u want to catch hidden processes, use pwalker. It,s also part of RootKitUnhooker.
    I don,t feel that keylogger detection of STM is much important, for that u will be much better with a behav analyzer and I read that PRSC is good in catching keyloggers.

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes correct, I thought it perhaps identified processes by database (see link), but looks like it rates them by looking at a couple of properties (is the window visible or not, able to record keystrokes etc.).

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/index.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.