Security Survey 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Thankful, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Why is Norton scared?

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

A nice read.Thank you.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Well obviously Norton's excellent results in the last 3 years are due to cloud technology. It is true most computers are almost always connected therefore cloud technology offers instant verification of suspicious files, including FPs, with minimal impact on the machine resources. In the near future wireless Internet connection will be available everywhere therefore their approach is understandable.

Unfortunately their program doesn't excel without the cloud, and you don't want to advertise a negative aspect. There are still situations where machines have to check for malware without an Internet connection.

5. malexous

malexous Registered Member

6. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Cloud skepticism...lol...

Analyzing a file's behavior in the cloud means exactly that--automatically watching a file to see what it does. In the case of a word document with private details, it will behave like a word document, and be deemed safe (if monitored in the first place) and left alone. Behavioral analysis does not imply or comprise at all of reading documents because text in word documents is not behavior.

Silly...yes, of course I totally understand there are some legitimate reasons to be cautious about the cloud, but regardless, I think that is where the road lies in terms of the future of security and computing. Strength in numbers, whatever you want to call it, it works. And a lot of this "skepticism" comes from ignorance on what really happens in regards to cloud analysis.

And this survey has participants who were willing to participate in a techie-related survey. What did AV-C do? Hit the streets in all major cities and conduct this? I don't think this is an accurate representation at all of "common users".

Rather, I feel this is a good sample of users who are PC literate enough to visit AV-C in the first place...probably something to keep in mind.

I don't know...forgive me but I like AV-C a lot but these survey results I feel don't necessarily conclude exactly what they aim to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.