Security Suites vs Stand Alone Programs

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by duke1959, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Security suites are the way to go, if you can find one that works in the areas needed most. Which of course, I did.:)

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Agree, and I also find one that works for me.:)

With your Avatar, we know which one you have choose.:p

3. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Yes. It is dramatically correct. I'm using ZAISS 6.5 on a PC, but AV isn't from Check Point, (CA for 6.5 and KAV for 7.0), but I do not like it to much 'cause it isn't very settable.
    According to your opinion (IMO you are right) Suites w/ all modules from the same producer could be: KIS 6.0, BD ISS 10.0, AVIRA. (All from AV Producer!!).
    I tried BD ISS, but FWL module isn't very affordable. I'm trying KIS it seems very strong. I tried AVIRA, but FWL module is to much young at the moment.
    Great suites are to come!!! But fastest then ever!!!

Best Regards.
    Mike

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Based on this other message post, I think the comment was directed at Comodo firewall, but the poster can verify that.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=886488#post886488

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

No answer from the poster on that ccsito.

I did browse the Comodo forum and I didn't see any bug-related posts in the firewall section.Lots of those in the av section though.
    No matter anyway.
    I don't use the av and have had zero problems with the firewall thus far.

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Here's something for you. I have noticed a bug in BD (Antivirus component) that has existed since version 9. I've reported it several times and its still not fixed.....

Anyway, regarding Standalone programs versus suites, I prefer the suites mainly due to reduced overall cost and guaranteed compatibility between the modules. Granted that sometimes the features are not as good as standalone applications but they still get better over time.

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Mcafee just released VirusScan Plus which includes VirusScan (version 11) plus a firewall and antispyware. Another trend towards suites. They don't sell the program by itself like the previous versions from what I saw on the company website. A local store offered the new program for $9.95 after rebate. I have been using version 6 on an old Windows 98 machine since 1999 and they changed the scan engine and DAT files at the end of October so that you can't update the older versions before version 8. You instead have to go though a series of file extractions and copying of the zipped update download in order to get the older versions "up to date". Too much hassle so McAfee is kaput on my old machine. Too bad. Time to move on since McAfee won't support Windows98 systems anymore.

8. greenhorn113

greenhorn113 Registered Member

Now I have had a response from Bullguard they confirm not able to configure the outpost firewall component to stop referrals very interesting but not able to confirm the versions of bitdefender and outpost in the suite.
    Now trying F-Secure suite 2007 quite impressed but puzzled re the firewall on pc flank port 139 open and referals etc but on shields up fully stealthed inc port 139.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes that correct, you have it set on normal use, set it to strict and this will secure you even more.

10. greenhorn113

How do I set F-Secure to strict? and how do 2 different testing sites have such different results? Which to trust?

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i wouldnt trust any 'test your security' websites,

its easy to change to strict, open f-secure, look at the top where it will say 'normal' under security level, simply click it and change to strict.

12. greenhorn113

I changed to strict but then despite being online had no access to servers ie this site but back to normal and here i am.
    There must be a way of checking if secure fully stealthed on shields up but port 139 open on pc flank

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

strict, should not stop you going on the internet or on different websites.

14. greenhorn113

Just changed to strict again and firefox can't find the server at wilders etc now back on normal so now puzzled over this

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

go through IE on strict and see if the problem still exists, i have used f-secure in past versions and also tested the latest one for quite a while and never had this issue, my browser of choice is IE7.

16. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

That is strange, I just changed mine to strict and FF 2.0 has no problems pulling Wilder's up.

I don't test my firewall anymore because using satellite internet makes the tests show *everything* open except port 80. When I first got this I was alarmed but after reading on some satellite internet user forums I found out that these results were normal.

17. greenhorn113

Same on IE 6 I didnt like IE 7 and F-Secure only installed yesterday,my Firefox is 1.5 but surely that shouldn't make a difference.

18. greenhorn113

Just as a test I will re-install IE 7 and try again.

19. greenhorn113

Still the same with IE 7 I wonder if a re-install of F-Secure IS 2007 would change anything?

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no idea but setting it to strict should not stop you going on certain sites, maybe another problem with your computer?

21. greenhorn113

Not certain sites but any sites its not stopping me getting online but when set to strict , then server cannot be found!
    When I get chance I will try a re-install

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I like to use the VCR/DVD player combo analogy. This set up lets you play a DVD or CD, and also lets you play those hundreds of VHS tapes you still have but don't want to throw away. Great idea. But, what if the VCR gets a tape all unwound inside, and somehow after you manage to dig all of the pieces of tape out it doesn't run right any more. Tapes jam, the tracking is off, and you have white streaks through the picture when you play a tape. Well you paid $300 for this set up and the DVD player is fine, but now your stuck with half a device with "bugs". If you had bought a good DVD player and a separate VCR to play your old tapes, and the VCR screwed up you could throw away the $79.95 VCR and buy a new one and still have the DVD player that works great. In other words separate utilities make more sense. :D

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no that doesnt make sense, your talking about money here...

loads of suites are free after rebate if your from the US, if your not from there... suites go as cheap as £5 - 20 on ebay, from power sellers, so no i dont think individual softwares make a cheaper option.

and you speak of bugs, well .. if in a suite its one bug usually, but stand-a-lone, one bug in firewall, one in antivirus, one in antispyware etc etc, all the hassle of emailing all 3 etc instead of one company and the added pain the butt of messing around with 3 / 4 / 5 different softwares.

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi CSJ - I wasn't talking about money. I was talking about equipment. If you have bugs in 3 different apps at the same time affecting performance, I'd say you chose some crappy apps. In all the years I've had a pc I can't remember 2 apps screwing up simultaneously. But anyhow, it wasn't a serious analogy, just a little fun.;)

25. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Just want to jump back in here with this. As much I like and enjoy AVG ISS, the combination of Comodo Firewall and AOL AVS was my favorite Stand Alone combo. I even liked ZA Free with either Antivir PE or AVG Free, but the GUI's and features of CPF and AVS which has spyware protection as well, was nice. I would use Comodo today though, with any other AV and AS softwares. For example, CPF and Antivir PE, with Spyware Terminator would be fine. Or say CPF and AVG Free, with Windows Defender. If for some reason however, I gave up a Third Firewall all together for a more basic set up, but still with good protection, I wouldn't be afraid to go with Avast and Cyberhawk, with Windows XP Firewall. I'll jump back out now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.