Security Suite Search Continues

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by huntnyc, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Your inout greatly appreciated as my search continues. I find it hard to find a suite that is able to best my current setup which is NOD32 2.7 Beta (waithing on version 3), Comdo FW and Spyware Terminator. Laptop runs fast and seemingly no real conflicts with my security and other programs or Web sites so far.

What I have Tried.

1. Bullguard 7

Thought it was okay but ran into problems browsing certan sites (I use Opera 9) such as my banking site. It told me it was block network attacks and the site became slow and irresponsive. Don't know what that's about.

2. AVG 7.5

Suite ran fast and I liked the interface but had trould getting over the manual hassle of deleting various files that it should have removed automatically. I would like a suite that will automatically clean or delete files if I want it to do that.

3. KIS 6 Beta
    ran fast and seemd very good on detecting and cleaning but the FW was confusing to me at times. But I might try it again soon.

I do not really want to run Norton because of the vast installation footprint although it might perform well - just don't like a lare installation footprint. have not tried F-Secure but I might. Anyway, could you give me input about my present setup and what I might try to best it? Thanks as always.

Gary

2. huntnyc

Just aftarer I posted this, received my one year free license key from Avira to their suite. I did try the beta and enoyed it but it still is not developed as well as other suites lathough the license may give me enough time to watch it and then be able to see how that will go. Antivirus program runs light and has great detection of late. Thanks for all your help.

Gary

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

huntnyc, sorry to hear your still looking:

but if you have been given a 1 year avira, maybe use this?

i would suggest f-secure for great protection, but dont install it if you want a quick boot up or quick scan speed, but i think its probably the best in protection.

4. huntnyc

Am considering that one and KIS 6 again. Thanks as always.

Gary

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I recommend you use the antivir suite, it offers good all round protection and its very light on the resources. If you're not a dangerous surfer then you will have no problems. Seeing you have the free avira license i see no point in wasting money purchasing a kaspersky license.

6. huntnyc

Am trying it out again now and seems pretty good although still some of the same bugs we saw in beta testing but hopefully they will keep at it til they iron them out.

Might just put Avira classic free on my wife's laptop and I will stay with this suite for a while and see how things fall out in the future. They really are deveoping a nice light compact suite. Thanks again.

Gary

7. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

Go for KIS 6.0. :thumb:

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Go for the green and red:)

9. huntnyc

No matter what, it is very hard for me to argue with KIS 6.0. Trjam, that combination looks good to me. Will think about that.

Gary

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

IMHO building your own Suite for your own system is always the best choice. Your current set up looks just grand to me. :thumb:

11. huntnyc

Thank you very much. In one way, I agree with you but in another, I hate dealing with several programs. However, it does run fine with those individual apps.

Running Antivir Suite though and it does run well also and at least I can try it out for a while. Thanks to all.

Gary

12. huntnyc

At present, I am running Avira Security Suite and it is running as smoothly as any setup that I have run on mhy laptop. All seems well with it.

As to another setup I have tried, I ran NOD32 2.7 Beta, Comodo FW and AVG AS Free on-demand only. That setup was fast also but Avira just has a snapier feeling to me for some reason. Will keep an eye on both. Still debating if I will try again KIS 6 or not. If I do, will be after MP1 is released for sure.

Gary

13. javagreen

javagreen Registered Member

Another vote for F-Secure here..

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its causing me blue screens atm f-secure that is i was gonna install antivir suite yesterday but didnt have time and today i got a blue screen from f-secure or spy sweeper but i think it was f-secure.
    all the new programs need more beta testing next time round and i hope eset do tons of beta testing and make it perfect before it goes final unlike bitdefender,AVG,kaspersky,f-secure.
    lodore

15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

What about GeSWall? You probably won't see your AV working:D . I don't.

16. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Gary,

When you want a blazing fast PC, try to get rid of overlapping security software.

A real strong Combo is
    - Hardware inbound firewall (or Win XP, do not laugh see explanation)
    - Antivir free (F-secure and NOD or KIS are good, but paid) = blacklist only
    - CyberHawk free = Behavior blocker
    - Spyware Terminator free with HIPS enabled (=white list HIPS on programs, IDS and spyware black list)

As an additiobal first defense layer
    - free Sandboxie or free GeSWall (=sandbox).

Because CB (+DEP of XP) protect of process/memory modifcation, no trojan can hide in good aps. Because the HIPS of Spywareterminator protects you against unknown aps, no bad program can startup.

The additional Sandbox restricts access to your OS vulnarable files.

Cheap free aps are often single purpose (F-secure, has besides blacklist also active heuristics plus behavior blocking). Comodo also does protect against modified processes to access the internet. But then the harm is done (process is already modified). CyberHawk protect this before change is made (rather than forbidding the changed program to connect to the internet).

Due to the rise of user friendly HIPS programs (like CB and SpywareTerminator), you do not need to put much effort in outbound protection. Outbound protection is like a bank, which is more concerned on the thiefs running away after the theft, than preventing the theft in the first place.

Regards

Kees

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  17. huntnyc

Interesting kees. Do you need to tweak settings of XzP firewall? Also, should you run the real time monitor in Spyware terminator in this setup? Thanks.

Gary

18. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

KIS seems to be the best one of your list. All the advice given so far has been bery good. Personal choice is the KIS and just leave the firewall on Learn until you get the hang of it.

12fw

19. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yes run the SpywareTerminator, with no ini, services etc start allowed, only Internet settings block only bad and unknown and have HIPS enabled.

You do not need to tweak the settings of XP firewall. Only when you have an older type of hardware Nat-router, check whether the port 113 is also stealthed (shields up). When not go to your router (often you get an IP address range from XXX.XXX.XXX.000 trhrough XXX.XXX.XXX.255) which is mostly the XXX.XXX.XXX.254 address of you range via your webbrouwser.
    Go the forwarding rules, click virtual server. You will get a screen. Fill in service port 113, choose a non-existing IP addres in your range at Server IP (f.i. XXX.XXX.XXX.222), click on enable. The incomming call to port 113 is redirected into oblivian in the future now. Do not forget to password protect your Nat-router administrator settings. Check at shields up whether all your ports are stealthed now

P.S.

If you allready have a paid AV like KIS, NOD32 etc. Stick to them, because they have a broader range of protection (like active heuristics f.i. in stead of passive heuristics). Just take your time to get to known such excellent paid AV-packages.

20. huntnyc

Thanks for the help.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.