Security Software

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by shallotman, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shallotman

shallotman Registered Member

Hi, I am a 78 yr old computer moron. I am running "Norton Security 2010 Performance Pack" [with 2011 upgrade] friend keeps telling me that this software slows down one's computer. If I change [software runs out in November] What would you suggest. :doubt: :doubt:

2. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

ESET products are known for being the lightest. These products even can extend the life of your old hardware/machines.
    You can download a trial for testing.

3. tipo

tipo Registered Member

or, if you like the norton products, you can continue using norton. the 2011 versions are very light and powerful. :thumb:

4. philby

philby Registered Member

How about Returnil Free?

I've had my 9 year old son and my 68 year old father using only that (with the newly added AV component off) for the last 2 years.

Just an idea...

philby

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The old Norton software years ago used to slow things down with a lot of bloat, but the new ones now are completely different, and pretty light. Not to mention very effective. I'd stick with what you have unless you have a good reason to change...

6. Circe

Circe Registered Member

Try Panda Cloud av, download it and forget about it. I use Panda cloud free on my two sons PC's because Panda cloud deals with the viruses without the user's input. No worries & no updates & no slowdown.

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

What kerodo said,Norton slow downs was in the past and not the case anymore and also Provides excellent protection.I would leave it alone if your happy with it.

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Welcome to the forum, shallotman, and by all means, don't sell yourself short with this I-am-a-moron talk. You had enough smarts to joing Wilders and post your question here, didn't you? ;)

I recommend that you stick with what you currently run... unless you yourself (and not your friends) feel like Norton is slowing you down.
    Also, in case you are feeling adventurous (like so many of your fellow forum members), you can branch out to something different. Plenty of suggestions can be found around these parts.

Good luck!

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Welcome to the forum. You found us, registered, posted & asked for help. That makes you smart in my book.

I'll echo others. If you're happy with the current setup, keep it.

10. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

You're no moron. You were happy with Norton before your friends started trying to 'educate' you.
    I wonder where they would all be if you changed and then got infected?
    Feel free to keep what you have. It's very good.
    Hugger (another old man learning as best as I can)

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

My question would be, would he be better off to try and uninstall the older version, and then install the newer version fresh? Is it possible that he has a more sluggish older version that won't see the lightweight features of the new version if it is piled on top of an old install?

Sul.

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Actually, we haven't heard what the OP thinks about his computer's performance, just what the OP's friends think. Right? :)

13. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Right. But if it is true newer versions are not as sluggish, my only question would be if upgrading vs. full install would be any different, regardless of just how sluggish one version is to another ;)

Sul.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm just thinking it would be a good start if the OP makes a 2nd appearance on the thread. ;)
    Sometimes there's a single, solitary post and never a follow up.
    Lots of people here to help him, that's for sure.
    :)

15. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Sandboxie and Returnil.

Both have FREE versions and we keep you malware-free.

16. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

If you do an on-top installation of Norton, it automagically uninstalls the old version first.

17. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

As I recall, NIS 2010 was pretty good as far as speed/lightness on the system as is 2011. At the least it compared just about as favorably as 2011 to the older boggy versions, say 2007 and earlier, so NIS 2010 itself should not be a problem as OPs friend suggests.

However, as I understand "Power Pack", this includes Norton Utilities. I haven't used Norton Utilities for several years now and so wonder if NU includes features that OP may have running in the background that possibly slow things down.

I agree that OP needs to consider his own opinion, with priority over the friend's opinion, of whether or not his system is responsive enough to meet his needs. Although I understand his listening to the friend if he has doubts about his own "expertise". Nontheless, shallotman, do give yourself some credit and try to consider the question in terms of how it meets your own needs. I'm not putting down your friend, but we know nothing of his skill level, appreciation for the importance of security, or exactly where he's coming from on this issue.

Finally, shallotman, how old is your PC and which operating system is it? Is it possible the system itself is not up to current standards as far being able to handle what you have loaded on it?

18. Dark Shadow

18 post later,still nothing from OP in response back.

19. shallotman

May I thanks all those who took the trouble to reply to my query. Sorry for the delay, have been away for a few days. I have a 2002 Packard Bell Imedia 1509 Intel Pentium 4 524 Imed 1509 desk PC [what ever that means] memory was upgraded last year.

20. Dark Shadow

Hi shallotman welcome back and welcome to wilders.There is Lots of good advice given so unless you feel experimental, I know you heard this before, that if its not broken dont fx it or let sleeping dogs lie.:DP.S age is not a factor here ifyour thinking and posting in here your still golden friend.:thumb:Cheers

21. shallotman

Slightly overwhelmed by all the advice I have received from members of this forum. Having only ever had NORTON, I think I will follow "njohn's" advice and keep Norton running. Might be brave and tell friend to keep his gob shut in future. One again many thanks to all those forum members who took the time and trouble to answer my query.

22. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Yes, just stick with Norton. It's one of the fastest available, as much as people hate to hear it.

23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

+1:thumb:

24. shallotman

Hi all. shallotman again. When viewing letters say in the Daily Mail, I occasionally get the following come up. MESSAGE FROM WEBPAGE. INTERNET SERVER ERROR. What does it mean, and what should I do about it ! keep replies very simple please. :doubt: :doubt:

25. x942

x942 Guest

In the easiest, simplest form: Your web browser failed to connect (load) the website.

(Slightly more technical)

This can mean one or two things normally:

1) The issue was with the DNS lookup (How your browser finds the site)

2) your modem or router went out for a moment.

The fix is:

If this stays out for a while try http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

this will tell you if it is an issue with your connection or if the site is having problems. If it is you I would try unplugging your modem/router or calling you ISP to help you.

hope this helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.