Security software for cell phones?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by RootAccess, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RootAccess

RootAccess Registered Member

Not ever owning a smartphone before, I always wonder how the average consumer protects himself. Like for example when the smartphone connects online through WiFi, does it have a firewall to protect the information being transferred? What about when it goes online through its cell phone company? What about viruses and trojans since it is basically a mini-computer? I haven't even mentioned about malware and spyware too. What do smartphone users all do about these issues?

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

There are malware apps available as well as firewalls. There is Tor available with Orbot and either OrWeb or Firefox. Some VPN providers work with PPTP on Android (maybe others). Sadly, the best security (for only the Nexus S and Nexus One), WhisperCore and associated products, has been sold to Twitter and is in limbo ATM. I only know Android...and not a lot :D

P

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Used smartphones for years and i've never worried about using a firewall. The basic security found in the os's i've used has always been enough. In regards to malware i just make sure i install only those apps that are absolutely necessary, i only use the official app stores and i always make sure to read the what permissions the app requires as well as peoples reviews of the app.

4. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

i'm also looking for free software

For androind 2.2 , symbian , and Dumbphone java based stuff

as for android i think there is a lot of free stuff compared to the other OS

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't think it's really needed for Symbian. Android is a whole other beast though...

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I have a smartphone with the android OS. There are quite a few antivirus apps for android, but unfortunately a firewall apparently requires root access and most phones are locked. It seems to me that open wifi is as much a security risk for phones as other devices, and it's foolish to transmit sensitive data, but people are encouraged to do banking and other transactions with them - crazy IMHO! I'm hoping there will soon be affordable VPN services available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.