Security setup?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kuroudo Akabane, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuroudo Akabane

Kuroudo Akabane Registered Member

Ok, so I'm very new to computers and I'm using a HP 110 Mini netbook with the 32bit version of Windows XP Home...

I have about 120GB HDD and 1GB RAM. I have IE and FF as my browsers and FF is my primary choice.

I have the Windows Firewall and Automatic Updates turned on...

What other programs should I instal and why?

And how should I configure them so they don't interfere with each other or my normal internet usage?

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

My first suggestion would be is if you do not need to run your system as a admin would be set up a standard limited user account as it can alleviate most problems.

secondly I would install a Antivirus program if you have not done so already.

There is so much we all can recommend but start off adding things slowly.I recommend you first read this excellent thread. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=252253

3. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

When I was running XP on a system with 1 GB of RAM I felt plagued by under-performance when browsing. Switching from IE to Chrome made a very noticeable difference. You didn't mention such issues, so maybe you're good in that department. :)

5. Kuroudo Akabane

That's the plan.

Why I am here... suggestions for an active program to run in the background and an on-demand scanner?

Looking for free software.

After that I'll consider if I need anything else like a a sandbox program, etc.

Thanks, tried using the scanners that it suggests, they didn't work.

BitDefender used it and removed it... said nothing was detected.

Kaspersky Lab and Eset didn't finish so I removed them.

F-Secure keeps closing my browser.

McAfee have been told this company sucks, didn't try it.

Trend Micro wants me to sign up for some spam, didn't try it.

Avast! only scans one file at a time.

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I would endorse the advices of earlier posters

Limited User Account - protects you from most problems and it is build into the operating system, so it does not cost you addition CPU cycles or Disk I/O

AntiVirus - on a Netbook I would try Avast with the file shield (plus auto sandbox) enabled only. Avast is the lightest of the freebies on CPU and disk I/O. Low Disk I/O will also give you extra mileage on the netbook's battery.

Chrome - on XP any of the top-browsers will do (safety features), but Chrome was on my systems allways faster than the other in startup time and page rendering.

When you look for a sandbox, Sandboxie is the one most used at Wilders (but with LUA, I would only use it for dodgy browsing, so on demand).

Hitman Pro on demand scans before backups.

Backup software (data and image) is what is missing. Paragon offers freebies on this area.

7. Kuroudo Akabane

Ok.

So no scanner too?

I'm about to try Ad-Aware right now.

Right now I'm using FF... what is different?

What do you mean?

What backups?

Is this different than the line above?

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

For netbooks the fewer the security programs installed, the snappier it will be. Since yours has XP i would suggest switching IE 8 for any other newer browser, let it be FF or Chrome or Opera but IE 8 is just SLOW.

You can try an AV less setup i order to keep the laptop snappy. Windows hardening + Sandbox or a light HIPS (Malware Defender, DeefnseWall etc.)

9. Kuroudo Akabane

I use FF as my primary browser and IE is my backup... should I also get Chrome or Opera?

Can you explain both options?

Also, this was the suggestion I got on another board, thoughts?

10. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Two browsers are good enough.

Windows Hardening, such as disabling specific services, applying specific tweaks can be effective against malware attacks. Sandboxing prevents writing to the real disk and changes can be quickly discarded. Light HIPS such as Malware Defender or Comodo D+ monitor specific changes that affect your system and you will be alerted.

It is your choice if you want to use Avast. IMO it is quite powerful in terms of performance, usability, and protection.

11. Kuroudo Akabane

So you would second Avast and Spybot S&D?

12. KelvinW4

I would First :D Only Avast

13. Kuroudo Akabane

So not Spybot S&D?

Won't I need a scanner too?

14. KelvinW4

Malwarebytes can be used as a scanner. Spybot is not as "powerful" as it was 5 years ago.

15. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Since you're "new to computers", I'd keep it simple.

I would however recommend getting a grasp on what system services you need, and trimming the dead wood. You need to conserve all the resources you can. Yes, you can break things this way too if you just go in there guns-a-blazin. But with 1 gig of RAM on that netbook, it's almost essential IMO. Do a search for "Black Viper system service" to get list that will give you a rundown on the services and what they do. Change a couple (even 1 at a time), no wholesale changes.

Also go to Run > msconfig, and look at your startup list. Eliminate anything you don't absolutely need. The only thing I have on mine is Comodo FW/D+.

If you were using XP Pro instead I'd recommend a great tweak to harden your Windows FW from termination. Turns it into a perfectly sufficient inbound FW. That's the only problem with it... that malware can somewhat easily terminate it. Check the box to "Don't allow exceptions" anyway. I'd even delete anything on the exceptions list that you can, and uncheck the rest for good measure. Since you say you're new to computers I wouldn't recommend an outbound FW/HIPS. Plus you don't have the specs for it. Just be careful (I'll get to this later on).

I'd download Sandboxie free and make yourself a good sandbox for Firefox. There are great threads in the sandboxing/virtualization section here at Wilders that can help you. It's not nearly as difficult as it seems at first. If you get comfortable with the program, you may want to consider purchasing it. Best $ for computer security I've ever spent.

Then just add a light & effective real-time AV. I used Avira Free for years on a 512 MB/ram, 2.4 Ghz Celeron CPU. It was very light and detection rates right up there with the best. I haven't used it in about a year now. Avast ran a bit heavier for me, with all those shields. Just get something that scans files on execution. Anything more is unwanted bloat in your case, IMO. Trying to stop it at an earlier entry point is a luxury you can't afford with those specs. Again, Avira would be my recommendation, but I don't know how/if it's changed in the past year. Perhaps someone still in the real-time AV game can give you more up to date advice.

That and harden that Firefox. Don't go hogwild with addons, just a few useful ones (Adblock Plus, NoScript). In regards to the latter, you can allow scripts globally if that's a nuisance to you, and it's still quite useful. "about:config" is your best friend to harden it without bloating the browser down. Again you can find good suggestions for tweaks by doing a search for something like: "about:config tweak security/privacy"

Add a couple on-demand scanners for 2'nd opinions. I recommend: Hitman Pro, Comodo Cleaning Essentials, MalwareBytes Free, SuperAntiSpyware Free.

And the best tool for someone with low specs... safe habits. Don't go around surfing through every dark corner of the net, clicking on/downloading everything you see. I probably could have run with no sandbox, AV, HIPS, anti- executable, outbound FW, or OS/browser tweak for the past 6 years without being compromised. But it's all there just in case I have a momentary lapse of reason.

16. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Spybot S&D is pretty much useless as a scanner. The only thing it's good for is it's "Immunization" feature, much like Spyware Blaster. But even then IMO you're better off using the Adblock Plus addon for Firefox and some good lists (Easy List, Easy Privacy). The Fanboy's Tracking/Stats Blocking list in particular, along with the previous 2 will probably knock out anything those 2 programs will, and then some. Malware Domains is another useful list.

Add a good cookie manager/blocker, like CS lite (addon). Combined with ABP they will do the job better/lighter than Spybot & Spyware Blaster. I used to use them both too, but these ABP lists are getting so comprehensive now.

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what about tea timer?it can be an extra blanket;)

18. Kuroudo Akabane

So what exactly do I need?

I'm getting mixed up, there's firewalls, removal tools, AV scanners, and what else?

19. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

20. KelvinW4

You just need a firewall, a AV and/or sandboxing, scanners/removal tools, and maybe some hardening from EMET and thats pretty all it to keep it simple.

21. Kuroudo Akabane

So considering my specs and experience, what programs would meet those needs?

22. justenough

justenough Registered Member

It looks to me like you've already gotten good advice. Avast or Avira. Firefox or Chrome. Sandboxie. EMET. MBAM and HitmanPro. And a system image program (I use Macrium Reflect, Kees1958 suggested Paragon). With those programs and a little common sense, you can probably get by with the Windows firewall.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  23. Dark Shadow

Back to basics.
    1.Limted user Account.
    2.Browsers Firefox or crome as primary - Add ons optional.
    3.Antivirus.
    4.Firewall - windows should suffice.
    5.Keep windows updated
    6.Keep Adobe reader and Flash updated
    7.Java if you have it and do not need it remove it.
    8.A recovery method other then hidden partion from a external source USB or CD

24. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Nice list djohn, short and to the point. For #6 the PDF reader and Flash in Chrome are enough for me, and I think they load in Chrome's own sandbox. I think it was Kees1958 who said that the combination of Chrome's sandbox with Sandboxie gives additional security.

Not exactly clear about #8. Other than the hidden partition? What is the hidden partition?

25. Dark Shadow

Netbooks have the recovery parition as mine does to recover back to factory bloat.Yuk:D BTW good point about Crome I forget about PDF and flash.thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.