Security setup: What now?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Cactus.Ed, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cactus.Ed

Cactus.Ed Registered Member

Hello,

Been lurking here for a couple years, just recently started participating. I have previously used, god forbid, Norton - mainly because I (legally) got it for free through my employer. I have always felt that Symantec products were bloated and left much to be desired in usability. This year I decided to go with something else. Here is my current setup:

-Hardware Firewall: NAT + SPI router (actually double NAT as it is plugged into another network)
    -Software Firewall: Comodo with custom rule set - Simple, works well. Rule set only allows programs what they absolutely need. I really liked the Outpost Pro 4 setup, but in the end it crashed at the wrong times and stuck its nose in too much (Why does it put its name in the blocked referrers?). I did not care for Zone Alarm either.
    -AV: Nod32 + periodic online scans - Tried Kaspersky, made things sluggish and had problems with internet scanning. Noticed that it was doing funny things to the disk...
    -AS: Safe download policy? - none installed, used Spybot in the past. Truth is I've never had any spyware, I don't download much though.
    -Other: Use Opera/Firefox/Thunderbird, Turned off all unneeded services, checked for open ports, all updates installed, closed raw sockets, killed the messenger, frequently check my outgoing connections for funny items or servers and I ALWAYS have a recent backup (not XP System restore).

I like the idea of "layered protection", but what else do I need? What is recommended?
    Any help would be appreciated,

-nate

Other info:
    My PC is very recent: XP Pro SP2, a couple gigs of ram, 420gb made from a few SATA drives and a few high-end hardware products used for image processing. I like to use my resources for applications and navigation speed. It really torques me when programs take up absurd amounts of memory for a simple process, thus slowing everything else down (i.e. notification bar icons and TSR’s) Hell, half the time I end up uninstalling/disabling half the items a program installs and it works without any problems. I guess I like my apps to be light in footprint.

Internet is cable (6000/76:cool:

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

u have a good setup and it should serve u well.

if u want, u can add a HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention System) such as SSM, Prevx1, Online Armor, etc.

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Looks like a good setup.

Your choice of browsers is very good.

Some programs that I think may be worth a look are BOClean or Win Patrol.
    I'd recommend Spyware Blaster.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Set up seems enough as u are safe surfer.
    Anything u add to it just depends upon ur linkg mainly otherwise I will take it as enough protection though I am not an expert.
    If I am in ur place i will just add two on-demand free scanners like AVG antispyware and SuperAntispsyware.
    Spyware balster immunization will not hurt as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.