Security Setup Question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by curious george, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curious george

curious george Registered Member

I've been asked to setup the security for a business, and had the following in mind:

Use malware defender to completely limit/isolate as many programs as possible, while denying the execution of any new apps or those that have been white listed so to say.

Have prev with safe online gaurding their browsing, along with noscript, adblock plus, and WOT (prevx will also be defending against malware)

I dont see a need for a on demand antivirus since nothing will ever execute, and no need for a firewall either since their going to be behind a router.

Will have then behind a sandbox as well.

Custom tweaks will be applied (ie disabling autorun).

What other suggestions do you guys have?

2. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

KeyScrambler Free (IE/FF add-on) ?

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I don't think that's necessary with Prevx SafeOnline.

I recommend adding EMET, ClearCloud DNS, and SUMo or Secunia.

4. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i use appguard instead of MD. less issues as far as quietness

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Which sandbox?
    SpywareBlaster wouldn't hurt.

6. sbseven

sbseven Registered Member

I'd remove NoScript from the list. It might be too much trouble for general business users and is probably redundant if you're going to use some sort of sandboxing, as you say.

7. curious george

curious george Registered Member

I will be using sandboxie, and most likely behind open dns. Not sure yet, but, i forgot to mention the whole "ill be changing to a new dns server to filter out the baddies..." xD

8. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

It all depends on the type of business, number of users, network topography, etc. Appguard alone should be enough but I'd also recommend a traditional AV; maybe a managed solution if you are to be maintaining it. OpenDNS would work great to provide content filtering, if you used a gateway AV and limited user accounts you should also be covered. MalwareDefender is a great program but way to intimidating for an average user. Sandboxie is also great and with a little training (and solid configuration) would be adequate. There are many different avenues to acheive what you are trying for.

A good combination that I have found effective that may also serve you well is a good AV with a low false positive rate but decent detection and simple to understand prompts; combined with Appguard. What the AV misses AG will easily stop. In certain cases MSE is legal to use for businesses and AG is very affordable.

9. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

This is what I used to believe, too.
    There have been sites that Prevx SafeOnline
    flagged as Green but they they were Not Green at all.
    (For obvious reasons, I cannot post these sites, here.)
    Keep Prevx SafeOnline BUT also keep the Free Key-Scrambler add-on for Firefox/IE.
    You never know...;)

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Can you tell me a little about emet?.Ive seen it at the microsoft site but dont really understand what it does or how it protects.If firefox is added as an application ,will it interfere with updates or addons? or the general use of the browser?
    tia
    ellison

11. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

12. sbseven

sbseven Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.