Security Setup for girlfriend

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by HURST, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I never said she doesn't need an AV, I doubt that one scanner will be enough.
    Wouldn't be the first time, that another scanner finds new malware on a computer.

3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Thanks for the link.

Just finished using the computer with DW for today. I love the simplicity of it. I think it's just what I was looking for. Will throw some malware to it to see how it behaves (I know DW will protect it, I just want to fully understand it's operation).

(Off Topic: I'm tempted to try DW on my main computer, but I love SBIE and the way I've configured it)

One little question to any Avira Free user...how often does the popup that offers me the premium version come up?

4. kencat

kencat Registered Member

Every time it updates. At least on my rig. Might be able to block the executable but I haven't tried it to see if that breaks anything. The content does change though and can be sort of entertaining :D

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

For friends I always use one of the below.
    TF free, AVira Premium paid (the free version sometimes has trouble some updates) or Avast (when they are short on money) and DefenseWall

When she downloads a lot you could also use Webshield (inbound check of documents). At slow PC's I let Avast start up its services after the system (but let it perform a rootkit scan). I also set the standard shield to check at writes only (slow PC's), inbound is covered with internet mail, webshield, P2P shield etc.

AD 1, good

Ad 2, keep using SBIE, you are a power user on this application

Regards Kees

6. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

Hello HURST,

You are very welcome.

Peace & Gratitude,

CogitoErgoSum

7. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

heh..i hate to be the pain but according to ur description of her computer usage the best/most secure deal for her would be the new version of ubuntu(linux) which was a great choice for my girlfriend as well..just install the basics she would need and ur gonna be glad u did..no more "honey there are some funny windows popping up in my computer"..and it is so light,ideal for laptop

8. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I haven't thought about linux.
    While I'm tryaling the Avast+DW (avira got fired :D), I might put her to try a liveCD to see if she can handle it.

The problem is that the "honey there are some funny windows popping up in my computer" I can handle relatively well and fast in Windows; but the "honey my wifi/mouse/screen/etc isn't working properly" can take a HUGE amount of time.
    (I know, newer versions have less and less such problems, but there's always that chance)

9. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I like your original setup. The other suggestions require user intervention. Girl Friends & wives simply want things to work with no special handling. If you really want to be sure that there will be no problems you have to have a way to restore the system without much trouble. I would back up data with Replicator & back up the system with an imaging program & keep it updated. Returnil is a good suggestions but you will have to find a way to retain all your Girlfriends data when the system reboots. Running in a sandbox & checking with an online AV seems like a nice idea until you get the question " Now what do I do:" This is followed by " I just approve all those popups I just have to do what I need to do to get done ". I like Iodores suggestion of just getting a nice comprehensive suite that works unobtrusively. Remember if this system does not work you will have to keep fixing it until she likes it.

10. HURST

HURST Registered Member

How about using geswall instead of defensewall?
    I know with geswall I can't lock data folders (am I right?), but isn't it easier to use for a totally non-tech user?

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

DefenseWall hips is the most easy friendly user app around.i used GeSWall
    before and it wasnt the easy for me and facebook,so thats when i tried DefenseWall and it is in our familly pc and it will stay.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: so my advice for my own experience is to keep DefenseWall.

note:thats my own experience and my own opinion,so do what you think is best for you and your girlfriend.

12. Kees1958

:) told you so :thumb: good decision

GeSwall changes untrusted files to trusted when moved from one partition to another, for a security noob this is a big danger, so DW is better

13. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

ooops..never heard of such thing..so if i re-image the main hdd with a setup not consisted of dw the files in the other partitions will carry that extra privillage reduction token?can cause instabillity?is it like KL's id tags?or just dw remembers them?

14. Kees1958

No DefenseWall has the total untrusted file control (applied automatically), your misunderstanding this, it is GesWall (GW) who has this implementation of changing the status when you move from one partition to another. GeSWall wil change this problably in the next release (it is not a flaw of GW, it was designed that way)

According to my knowledge both DW and GW remember it.

15. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Confidential resources
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.