security settings do not permit?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Griogair, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Griogair

Griogair Registered Member

hi.

a mate of mine from down south sent me a link to a website with audio of a guy he knows 'mc'ing at some rave event or something like that.
    i said i would have a look but when i click on the link it says that

'your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded'

can anyone explain as to why this is and to how and if i should amend certain settings in order to stream/download(unknown) the audio

the link was: link to the desired audio

thanks to anyone who can resolve this for me

Griogair :)

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I hope people notice and reply to this thread too...
    That link you posted is suspicious, it links to freewebs, freewebs is a site I rate as Very Suspicious.
    Also, I do not know what are the contents of that audio file, but since that audio file is from a suspicious site, for safety reasons, please DO NOT download that audio file. That message is telling you that your security settings do not allow you to download that audio file, simply because that audio file is from a DANGEROUS site, DO NOT try to lower or amend your current security settings or else you are putting yourself at greater risk of being infected by some sort of malicious software.

For your own safety, please do not download audio/video files anyhow without thinking twice, especially files from suspicious sites. Please practise safety habits and precautions while surfing the internet.

FYI, freewebs.com is a site which is included in my IE restricted sites list. If I remember correctly, freewebs.com is a site that is targeted by IE-SPYAD.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  3. Griogair

Griogair Registered Member

sorry to cause any problems...i realised smaller websites usualy use sites like freewebs,.tk etc, but thought that as they were hosting other sites material that they would have to be legitimate (to an extent). i will take on board what you say and retain my current security settings aswell as staying clear of the website.

cheers! :)

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

it could be that you have a security program blocking the visit/download of that site.

I tried the link, it is safe. freewebs isn't per definition bad. some clients using freewebs are up to no good but not all their clients imho.

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I've downloaded and played the file with no problems. No flags from NOD32 or BOClean. Nice up-tempo cut if you ask me.

Blue

PS - this is through Firefox and Windows Media Player, same with IE, no problems.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

With the 13 Feb 2005 update....Freewebs.com is not an entry that is added to IE's Restricted Zone by IE-Spyad....as noted in the Removed section of the ie-spyad.reg file.

; *************
    ; ** Removed **
    ; *************
    ;[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\freewebs.com]
    ; "*"=dword:00000004

The IE setting that presents that message is found under Internet Zone\Custom Level(Security Settings)\Downloads section\File download....select Enable in order to download that wma file you are linking to. If for whatever reason Freewebs.com is listed in IE's Restricted Zone....File download is disabled by default.

7. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Bubba. I have file download enabled but still see my screenshot.

Attached Files:

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

What happens when you select Click here for option... ?

Isn't that Information message related to IE SP2 Add-ons ?

9. Infinity

in your options menu > security > www > opening files based on content , not on extension

choose based on content.

then right click for download. if problem occurs, try following bubba's advice.

Inf;

10. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

This fixed it. Thanks!

Thanks,

Chris

11. Infinity

no prbs, hope you enjoy the wav file :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.