Security Screen Blank

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by WilliamP, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

You should be ok now, rebbot and the offending pop up should be gone :)

2. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Well Pilli I have given up I have removed everything that I could find process guard,pguard,pghash,and procguard. Still it won't load. I get the same box. I have run searches and finds. I can't find anything in the registry or any where else. Maybe there is something I'm not looking for? :doubt:

3. WilliamP

Well Pilli we tried . Hopefully Jason or Wayne will get involved with my problem. I do want to get Process Guard running again. Thank you for your time .

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Ah, they maybe a few things that you have missed.

Make sure that there are no start up entries for Process Guard in your Start - All Programs - Startup folder.

Check out *\windows\system32\drivers and make sure that procguard.sys has been deleted. You may need to do this in safe mode if you had a failed uninstall.

Clear out all the files in your Process Guard folder except for procguard.pkf.

If these do not do the trick then you may have to wait until DCS can reply.

Pilli

5. WilliamP

Process Guard folder empty. No driver found.

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

William are you still getting a pop up?
    Can you do the following, Start - run - type msinfo32 press return and check, software environment, system drivers and see if there is a procguard entry and what it's status is please?

Pilli

7. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

You could try unregistering the .dll also. Try this:

Code:
    regsvr32 -u <path to the DLL to be unregistered>
    Click on the Start button, then select Run, and enter the line above---making the appropriate correction to point to the DLL file that you want to UNREGISTER.

That may work...worth a shot :).

Regards,
    Jade.

8. WilliamP

Pilli ,I did as you said and there is no driver for procguard. Bowserman, there is no dll in this machine connectig to Process Guard. I went into safe mode and deleted procguard.dll and everything that I could find that had anything to do with PG.The registry is clean. I guess.

9. Bowserman

Hmmm, I just noticed that in your post #18 in this thread, you had both a Process Guard and Process Guard v3 in your registry.

Here is how I uninstall any Process Guard version:

I uninstall PG in Safe Mode, I delete both the .dat files that are left in C:\WINDOWS\system32 and then delete the PG folder from C:\Program Files , and then I delete the Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Diamond Computer Systems\Process Guard (or Process Guard v3 now).
    I also check in the Registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services for any entries associated with PG....if any are there I delete them. I then also do a full system clean with various tools that I use.

It is strange that you had both a Process Guard folder and Process Guard V3 folder in the registry. I would have deleted the former before installing latest BETA and checked for the .dat files that are left in C:\WINDOWS\system32 and then deleted the PG folder from C:\Program Files and then checked in the Registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services for any entries associated with PG.

Then any new version always installs fine. Other than that mate, it's got me o_O. Might be worth waiting and see what the DCS lads advise :).

Regards,
    Jade.

10. WilliamP

I had shut down protection and uninstalled Ver.2 before installing 3. It was doing fine until I did a backup. I have a CMS Periperals 40GB hard drive and Bounceback Professional software. After the backup PG went crazy. I tried a reboot and the PG screen came up blank. I couldn't do any thing with it so I uninstalled it. I don't know why but, I believe the Bounceback software is the problem because while trying to clear things out I did a search and found pguard.dat c:\windows\bounceback\c\windowssys32. Of course I don't know but it seems it pulled pguard.dat out and stuck it there.

11. WilliamP

One of the things that concerns me now is after deleting those two entries in post 18 I don't have anything left there, no Diamond ,no TDS3 or Startup Viewer. My TDS3 still works and I didn't remove anything that wasn't Process Guard.

12. Bowserman

If Bounceback pulled out pguard.dat then that would be a problem. Did Bounceback also pull out pghash.dat? If so, then that would be why the Security Screen came up blank in the first place. Either way, you best wait for a DCS response on this mate.

Regards,
    Jade.

13. WilliamP

It may have been pghash intead of pguard . I couldn't swear to which showed up.

14. Bowserman

If you only deleted the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Diamond Computer Systems\ProcessGuard and Process Guard v3 folders in the registry, it should not have removed each of the the:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Diamond Computer Systems
    and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Diamond Computer Systems\TDS-3
    entries/folders etc. They should still be there.

Like I said above, wait for DCS on this mate.

Regards,
    Jade.

15. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Well first things first. The manual uninstall routine listed in the OLD helpfile available in the v3.000 beta is still applicable. To remove ProcessGuard all you need to do is go to safe mode and delete procguard.sys (this stops the driver from loading), whilst you are there you should also delete procguard.dll. The dcsuserprot.exe service does not start in safemode, and hence procguard.dll cannot be in use since it isn't injected into anything.

So if for some reason an uninstall went badly, simply boot into safemode and do what I said above, then make sure the directory you installed ProcessGuard into is also deleted, and that is it.

16. WilliamP

Jason ,believe me I am sorry for the mess I have. I did a search for procguard.sys and nothing comes up. Please help. I had read somewhere to shut off all protection and do an uninstall. After rebooting I thought it hadn't loaded at all ,so I thought it was safe to un install.

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi WilliamP

I would bet that Bounceback is your problem. I was going to use it in conjunction with Raxco's FD-ISR which is a form of rollback program. FD-ISR works by making a bootable copy(upto 10) of your harddrive, on your hardrive. It hides everything in hidden system files that are well protected. I installed Bounceback did a backup and all seemed well until I rebooted. Had to uninstall Bounceback, and then discovered it had trashed the FD-ISR stuff somehow. In FD-ISR you can uninstall and leave the snapshots out there so you don't loose them if you chose not too. The uninstall didn't go right, but I got it off the system. Then couldn't reinstall. With a bit of help from Raxco I manually removed everything. Nightmare city.

Finally resolved it by using Bounceback to do a competitive upgrade to Dantz's Retrospect 6.5. My hunch is Bounceback has done a similar number on you.

I wish you good luck

Pete

18. WilliamP

If PG is so protected how could Bounceback mess it up. Now don't get me wrong . I'm not saying it didn't. All I know is I have a situation. I don't know what to do .

19. Peter2150

Hi WilliamP

Not sure I can easily answer your question. Raxco did checkout Bounceback and although couldn't give me to much detail, apparently Bounceback plays with some hidden stuff to an extent that they have just added to their list of incompatible software. My guess is it relates to how they handle open file backup. IOTW how they handle being able to backup files locked by the system.

I can't say for sure but you may need to uninstall bounceback, then clean up from Process Guard, and then make a choice of software. I never got the point of finding out how Bounceback played with Process Guard. I just wrote off Bounceback and switched.
    Might have get further input from Jason on this.

Pete

20. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I think your first problem William was the fact that whatever backup software you used couldn't read from the protected files ProcessGuard has. So I'm not sure if your backup software runs during Windows after it has started or if it can also backup before Windows starts or what. If it was before Windows starts then it can modify/delete any file on the system.

So after you performed your system backup the software may have corrupted or removed pghash.dat. You should realize that if you want to perform any backup of your system, you should first disable ProcessGuard so it frees up all the files it is protecting.

21. Peter2150

Good point from Jason. I've noticed if I don't disable PG then Retrospect will generate two error's since it couldn't copy them, but thats all that happens. I suspect from my experience with Bounceback, that it is far less benign in that situation.

William, Jason makes another excellent point. When I do backups I routinely disable Process Guard, Worm Guard, and my virus software. Just avoids conflicts.

22. WilliamP

BounceBack runs after Windows. What can I do now to be able to load PG? If I have to I can remove BounceBack. Peter ,will I have trouble uninstalling BounceBack?

23. Peter2150

Hi William

No Bounceback was a straight forward uninstall. But understand what I am saying. What you might try is uninstall Bounceback, clean up from PG. Then reinstall PG, and then reinstall Bounceback.

!!! Be sure to disable PG any time you do anything with Bounceback.!!!!

Then it might be okay. But ulitmately you might be forced to choose in which case if it were me I'd forego Bounceback.

Good Luck

Pete

24. WilliamP

Peter,right now the major problem is I cannot load Process Guard. I have tried everything suggested in these posts and it will only load about 365 mb's and quit. There is not much need worrying about Bounceback. I don't have to choose between PG and BB. I need some help please.

25. WilliamP

This is hard to believe but I figured I'd give it another try and it loaded. It didn't aks for the activation code but it's working. I will try a reboot and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.