Security Program Layering....

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgfalconboy, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgfalconboy

bgfalconboy Registered Member

I've been wondering how many anti-spyware/male-adware/trojan programs I could use without conflicting or slowing my system down. I currently use ZA free (may eventually try Comodo) , AVG free, Spyware Blaster, Spybot SD and FF extension ABP+. I've heard that not all programs catch everything. Is what I have a pretty good setup, or could I use another good program or two?

2. screamer

screamer Registered Member

This is true. But what is also true is that installing every AV / AS / malware detection program won't catch everything either. A layered approach is good but done in a sensible balance. A lightweight firewall, lightweight AV and "perhaps" an AS is adequate. Then you can have all the on demand scanners in the world if you want them. Just don't run everything real time / resident.

Your set-up looks fine to me. I'd just dump SB S&D. Perhaps you can add something like BoClean or a HIPS if you're not comfortable w/ what you are already running.

...screamer

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

You can have as many ondemand scanners, but with realtime apps its depends on the apps. HIPS in particular can cause conflicts.

I would stay with only one of each category. For example: one AV, one FW, one HIPS etc.

4. bgfalconboy

I understand. What's your beef with Spybot SD? I've always though SB S&D was very highly regarded. What is BoClean and how does it work? I don't even know what HIPS even stands for so you may have to educate a bit here. Is Spybot considered a real time/resident scanner (tea timer)? What other ones would you recommend over Spybot?

5. WSFuser

Spybot isnt bad but theres better apps such as SUPERAntiSpyware, a-squared, or AVG AntiSpyware.

Comodo BOClean is an anti-malware that runs realtime and scans the memory waiting for a baddie to execute.

HIPS = Host Intrusion Prevention System. CastleCops has a nice FAQ on HIPS here.

6. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I assume your looking for free software to secure your system? On this board, Spybot and Ad-aware aren't on many favorite lists. I still have Spybot 1.4 for the occasional weekly scan. Sometimes the Tea Timer in Spybot can cause conflicts. With the Tea Timer , it is considered a real time app.

BOClean is an anti-spyware/trojan that scans the memory for infections. Comodo owns BOClean now and it just recently became a free program. Windows Defender and Spyware Terminator are also free real-time anti-spywares.

HIPS stands for Host(-based) Intrusion Prevention System and comes in many flavors. They are usually considered a more advanced software, but some of them are fairly easy to use. Here are 2 links for further reading.
    http://wiki.castlecops.com/HIPS_FAQ
    http://wiki.castlecops.com/HIPS/IDP_programs/services

NoScript is another favorite extension for Firefox. You basically have to whitelist your favorite sites or temporarily allow scripts to run. Some see it as strong security, others see it as a hindrance. I hope this helps.

I see WSFuser beat me to the links. I also agree that Spybot isn't a bad app, there are just better nowadays.

7. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

If you want a week's worth of reading, slide up to the
    "other anti-malware software" forum and type HIPS in the
    search box.

8. bgfalconboy

Ok, what would be some examples of some on-demand scanners and a HIPS program. Pardon my ignorance on some of these things., I'm not an security expert yet , but this site is probably a good place to learn. What would Spyware Blaster be classified as? I definitely don't want too many programs that conflict with each other or slow my system down as it isn't the fastest, but I wouldn't mind covering a few more bases if its possible. Thanks for help guys.

9. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Do you have some particular reason for wanting or needing to run numbers of anti-spyware programs ? Have you suffered from contamination ?

If you don't already have a hardware firewall I would get one - In my opinion it is probably the most important thing that anyone can do.
    Do you surf with Firefox ? if not I would suggest that you consider it.

You say you have a slow machine ? Have you thought about running with just a firewall, one anti-virus program and then running the odd on demand AS ?
    I'm not recommending that you run with no security BUT for the record my old P4 2.4 runs 10 to 12 hours per day and has only a hardware firewall and firefox.
    Now over 8 months since I removed the anti-virus, Anti-spyware, HIPs and software firewall. a program that took 30 seconds to load now does so in 6 seconds. So far every on demand that I have loaded has found nothing. Perhaps I've been lucky or perhaps too many worry, too much about things that will probably never happen.

You can load as much as you like or nothing at all.

NOD32, SuperAntiSpyware, AVG, Avast, Antivir, bitdefender,A2,Spyware Terminator...Rootkit Revealer

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Spyware Blaster is an antispyware app.
    It doesn't scan or run real-time.
    You install it,update it periodically,and enable protection.Close the program.
    It sets a "killbit" which prohibits covered spyware programs from installing.

11. WSFuser

Ondemand scanners can take the form of antispyware (e.g. superantispyware free), antivirus (e.g. bitdefender free), or antirootkit (e.g. f-secure blacklight).

Some HIPS would be Online Armor, SSM, ThreatFire, and many more. Just do a search in the Other Anti-Malware software section.

12. bgfalconboy

Yes, I use the latest version of Firefox 2, have been using FF for a good while now. As far as a hardware firewall. I'm not sure that would work with how I get online. I'm using Sprints' mobile broadband card at the moment. I still have a Netgear wireless card but don't use that much anymore now.

I'm thinking since I don't have the dough to invest in expensive high end security suites , I'd like to get the best protection I can get with the best free programs out there. Sometime in the future I may eventually get a paid for security suite of some kind. Since discovering SpywareBlaster isn't a real-time app, I may want to replace that one with one that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.