security on iPad and Asus Transformer

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by lovelymaiden, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelymaiden

lovelymaiden Registered Member

I have been working with advice from this site for a few weeks to get my computers to a place where I can anonymously surf the web using a VPN or Tor operating off of a Truecrypt loaded flash drive. I have also opened a webmail account that offers a more private and secure environment. I have a strong concern about two main issues; certain people being able to track my internet traffic and people being able to access my email correspondence.

Last week a friend gave me a brand new iPad 2. I have not opened the box yet because I want to make sure I can do the things I need to do on it privately. I understand it does not have a flash drive, which means I would have to get this set up on its own. I don't know what that entails or if its even possible.

My son suggested I return the iPad for the new Asus Transformer. I am attracted to the docking station as I will never type directly on an iPad, at least not for 90% of my work.

Can anyone tell me whether the basic tactics I am use (VPN/Tor, portable FF, truecrypt) can be used effectively on either of these devices? Is there something I should know that would help me make a good decision using a pad rather than a laptop? Mac vs. Asus?

Thanks so much.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

TOR is available for Android.
    https://www.torproject.org/docs/android.html.en

Firefox is not portable but you can use it with Android.

There is no TrueCrypt for Android as far as I know. Android 3.0 has a "bitlocker" type function though.

3. lovelymaiden

FWIW, I am totally technically unevolved. Never touched this stuff until three weeks ago when I stumbled on this site.

So because its an Android OS, and not because its a EEpad, I won't be able to use some of what I am migrating to.

The fact that the ASUS has a USB port does not necessarily make it easier to use privacy and security tools with then because of the OS?

I have heard that Macs are more secure regardless, any comment there?

It seems I can access sites privately with Tor, but not sure if my VPN will work with either. I use BolehVPN now (which I think has a mac version, but not sure if it works on a pad).

If I don't use a portable tool, will info from me email and browsing still be on my host?

Thanks,

4. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I don't know if you're interested about device encryption (in case of loss, theft or confiscation), but Ice Cream Sandwich supports hardware encryption (Honeycomb did as well). According to Moxie Marlinspike of WhisperCore fame, the key however, is your screen unlock password/phrase. This is a problem in the case of having a 256 bit key (about 40-50 characters, depending), which is recommended. Using Steve Gibson's Haystack method may make this tolerable:

password&&&&&&&&&&##########$$$$$$$$$$

...but it will still be slower than a low number of digits. Still not bad for a tablet, but on a phone it gets iffy.

PD

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Why would a 256bit key be recommended? You could use a 20 character key and be absolutely fine. Or even a 16 character key.

I don't really think there are portable apps for android. Everything is isolated from everything else though.

You can probably use a VPN but if you're using TOR there's no real point.

OSX is secure in that no one really cares much to attack it. It has surges of malware every once in a while and then it goes away - hackers testing the market. OSX Lion is fairly secure.

As for running nonportable apps it's not much of an issue.

6. lovelymaiden

I am not entirely sure I understand what you are saying, but I THINK you are saying there is something I can put on the pad to ncrypt the content on the hardware.

My priorities are"

1. Prevent anything I do online from being viewed by others either via my ISP or on my device
    2. keep my emails and email contacts private
    3. Safely save documents I create related to my business
    4. Having a system for privacy that does not fall apart if I was forced to provide my device password (or passwords to other files that are obviously installed on the device)

So in this context, can I accomplish those goals while using either pad device, and is one better than the other? Will this encryption described below work on a pad to help me accomplish one or more of these? I don't know if something like truecrypt can be installed on one of these devices, but I do know that it can be set up in volumes that can be hidden.[/LIST]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  7. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Because I like having a passphrase with the same amount of entropy as the key space. The extra 20 characters take about an extra 5 seconds to type. Granted, you have to have it committed to long-term memory, but I do, so it's no problem. But you are correct that 20 is probably fine on a practical level. Different strokes.

Maiden, didn't mean to confuse you. The Transformer has built in encryption. You just activate it and it encrypts the device using your screen unlock code...whatever that may be. Nothing too complicated. I know nothing about iPads, sorry.

PD

8. x942

x942 Guest

First I recommend you read this thread I posted if you haven't yet. I cover almost everything you mention wanting (TOR, Encryption, etc.)

Second I would head over to www.xda-developers.com to find some guides on rooting your device. Don't worry it's not as hard as it looks and it's so worth it! Especially for doing what you want to do with it. A rooted Transformer is basically a laptop.

9. lovelymaiden

Thanks so much to everyone for the helpful suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.