Security of my new machine

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Jan 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have had a computer since 1999. it has been excellent, a Micron, but I think it is time to replace it. I have purchased a Dell 4700.
    For the last week or so I have been reading and asking questions re security. I realize that there is no total agreement.

Here is what I have settled on for my new computer that I will put together this week

AV - Bit Defender pay version. I pretty well decided against KAV and NOD 32 for no particularlly good reason except resource usage (KAV) and the fact that Bit Defender is right up there with them on the tests that I have seen. It also has the 100% rating for W XP from VB trests, ane was rated best by AV Software review. I realize some will quarrel with their results, but that is where they are.

Firewall - Look n Stop (pay) Along with OP it seems to be among the top few.

Malware scanner - A2 Not sure if this is better or as good as some others, but it is easy to use, and I will probably use the free version. Ewido might be better, but seems to cause more problems. That may be to greater usage.

AdAware, Spybot, and XCleaner.

All of the above have good reports, and whether they are best or not, they are high on the effectiveness lists.

I am open to any comments.

Jerry

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

JerryM

Looks good to me. You can add more later if you feel the need. You might want to give Firefox a try as well. It won't wreck your computer is very configurable.
    You don't have to make it the default browser if that's your choice.

My two cents.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, I am using Firefox and Thunderbird as my Email (client?)

Jerry

4. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Nice setup!

A couple of apps I wouldn't be without:

Spywareblaster and StartupMonitor.
    :D

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have Start up monitor. Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to dl it.

Jerry
    Jerry

6. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I have to say taht I tried XCleaner and decided to use CCleaner instead, it seems to run smoother and also ismore configurable, and it also has a registry cleaner also. I too chose A squared over Ewido, less FP's. And don't forget a well rounded host file, I recommend MVPs.org's. Other than that looks good.

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

these aren't both firewalls that you are planning to run at the same time are they? because if they are you just don't run two firewalls at the same time.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

NO, I will use only one, and at present it will be LnS. I did install the free version on my old computer today for a trial. It has some problems with the Shields Up test at GRC. None were open but some were closed, and not stealthed. I am not sure if that is a great problem. Don't closed ports provide protection?
    My old Keriio 2.1.5 did better on that test.
    The Leak tests were good.

I posted the problem on the LnS forum here.

Jerry

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Jerry,

Just a reminder, the end of the Outpost Pro Christmas Special of lifetime free upgrades is closing in very quickly.

Blue

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I figured you knew but just in case I thought I would mention it.

bigc

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I did know of the special offer, and it is tempting. I wish I had a little more time to check our a free version of OP if such is offered. I might go that route yet, as it saves some money in the future. "A fool and his money are soon parted."

If it lasts through the 10th I might see if I can try it tomorrow. OP seems to be an excellent firewall, but I have the impression it causes more trouble than LnS. That was a major reason for my choice.

I should mention that I also use Proxomitron.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.