Security Of Learning Mode ??

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Boleyd, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boleyd

Boleyd Guest

A program from Google called Google Earth installs a key-logger to track your activities while using the program. Of course, you have to "believe" that Google does not track/record keystrokes for other programs while Google Earth is active - TRUST!.

When I try starting the program, and it is NOT in the list of protected programs, I had and error from the program that it cannot access a "handle". If I enable Learning Mode and start the program it works ok. I then disable learning mode. Now it continues to work BUT the key-logger is also working. I verified with CounterSpy spyware detector.

I assume that IF you start a program in Learning Mode that has a key-logger in it that the key-logger will continue once Learning Mode is shut off o_O Is this a true assumption?

Thanks,
    Dick

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Boleyed, Yes in learning mode PG will give whatever allows the program requires, if you do not trust a program do not install it. However, once learning mode is complete you can alter the processes flags and see what happens, sometimes you will get no noticeable problems or you may simply cripple the process.

HTH Pilli

3. dboley

dboley Registered Member

It seems that many of the Process Guard customers have some knowledge of the PC world. Unfortunately, this is not true in the general public. All of the commentary on Learning Mode seems to center on the customer making the determination on what programs to trust and allow to be started in Learning Mode. I do not believe that in the longer term life of Process Guard that this is realistic. To me there seems to be considerable opportunity for a non-knowledgeable PC user to believe that many programs are trustworthy. If this were not true companies like CNN would not spend considerable air-time on the subject of ID theft which is the objective of things like key-loggers.

I do not know what the answer is but letting the general public use learning mode has the possibility of making Process Guard null & void.

Dick

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

and if people dont use LM then theyll have problem with apps being denied certain flags. maybe an IM program need global hooks for keyboard shortcuts. and like u said many users that use PG do know what theyre doing, but security can only go so far without having user interaction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.