Security Measure Question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by raj_aditya, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raj_aditya

raj_aditya Registered Member

Hi,

I need some advices from security gurus.

I have the requirement to keep my laptop/desktop open all the time 24*6. I can shut it down only once.

I would like to know for such a system what security softwares should i install to make my system hack free hassle free.

Kindly suggest.

2. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

Unplug the ethernet cord and turn off the wifi.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

strong firewall to protect in/out bound:thumb:

4. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

Is Windows a requirement?

5. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I think a key question would be what is meant by keeping the laptop/desktop "open".

Some people keep computers (nearly) always on for local/home computing purposes and don't actually need to have an active Internet connection the entire time. If that is the scenario and the OP wishes, for whatever reason, to disable Internet access then the focus would be on ways to disable the Internet connection. The options for doing that would depend on whether or not they want to keep their local network up while their Internet connection is down. Manually switching power to a router would kill both local and Internet connectivity. Manually switching power to a broadband modem that is separate from the router would kill just the Internet connection. Plug pulling could work. Some routers support parental controls and specifically schedules for when local machines can access the Internet. Those approaches don't seem terribly appealing though. One could enable/disable the local adapter, but that would kill local network activity. What if we deleted/added the default gateway as desired? If the computer is setup to acquire IP Address and default gateway via DHCP the lease could expire and then what... it might re-add the default gateway when we didn't want it to? We could work around that by manually configuring local IP Address and default gateway?

I guess before musing too much we should probably get clarification from the OP. If he/she wishes to maintain the Internet connection while the computers are up then I think the objective boils down to how to generally secure one's local network and computers against Internet threats.

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Assuming that you're just talking about the standard/typical risk of malware exposure while connected to the internet, and you're not at any special risk of a targeted attack, then there really isn't anything particular that you need to do differently; just a good firewall that's properly configured (all ports closed, if possible) and keep everything updated.

These days a great number of people are always connected and always on; it doesn't increase risk, in any real sense, as long as you have a router and/or firewall. Connecting through a router, however, is an easy way to ensure permanent inbound 'protection,' regardless of what happens on your PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.