Security: knowing when is enough?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Siamese Dream, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Let me kicking in. :p

Encryption like Bitlocker or TrueCrypt (or any other encryption tools).

- Use a secure DNS filter, like Norton DNS or OpenDNS for example.
    - Use one or more website rater(s), like WOT, Bitdefender TrafficLight, etc.
    - Some security products offer some sort of a banking mode.
    - I believe you already know this, but don't click on a link within a suspicious email. If it says your account got compromised, contact Paypal directly.
    - If Paypal got hacked, there's nothing you can do about it.

Well, this one is a little hard. Maybe use a VPN server. I have no experience about it so others might want to give better suggestions. Aside from that, maybe using private/incognito mode as well as Sandboxie and set it to clear when closing the browser/sandbox will help. Maybe use a cookie/script/ad blocker too.

2. Siamese Dream

Siamese Dream Registered Member

Dumb question really. I found one.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

- BIOS password helps, but they can always cut the power, or remove the hard drive. Most sure-fire way is either encryption or shredding. Hardware-based is the best kind, but software encryption is generally good enough. Remote shredding can be unreliable in the same scenarios as BIOS password, including even on different OS (LiveCD), so hardware-based (# of failed attempts) is much better.

- You can also try HTTPS Validation or even Forcing HTTPS. VirusTotal is a great website scanner/rater, but manual only. NoScript/ScriptSafe is great if you can use them. EMET and Sandboxie (especially with restrictions) may help. Keeping your system, browser, and network clean is a must of course. Always use a secure connection with a good firewall.

- Tor and a good VPN service are great for that. You can use both at the same time. The browsers incognito mode should be enough, but you can even whitelist cookies, plugins, scripts, history, cache, and whatnot. Or shred the traces. If you paranoid enough, spoofing your MAC address and changing router IP's are possibilities. Honestly, I don't go that far on most of what I said, but knowledge is still power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.